Brainrot

By sharon - 14/12/2011 21:21 - United States

Today, I was giving a presentation at work, when I said, "But we could care less about that." My boss asked if I meant, "Couldn't care less." Wanting to avoid embarrassment, I tried to think up an excuse, only to end up blurting that it was my phone's auto-correct. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 584
You deserved it 35 267

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow you need to learn the difference between texting and real life

Comments

KVKdragon 26

Is it really that big of a deal to say "my apologies, that is what I meant to say"? Seems like a natural thing to say when you're reasonably corrected by authority figures

If you would have said it in a witty/playful tone, it would have been GENIUS.

xaer0babiix0 0

Maybe you should stop talking to Siri.

How many times have we told you? Pay attention.

I'd have said "that's what I said, you must have misheard..." then continued quickly and hoped for the best...

Why wouldn't you just say yes and that it's a mistake? People on here are retarded lately

Both are acceptable, "could" being more commonly used. In that context there is implied sarcasm. Ydi for letting it get you worked up

It's been explained correctly here several times. "Could" is not right in this context; it's often used wrongly like "would of", "supposably", "irregardless", and many other words and phrases. Frequent incorrect usage doesn't make it right.

But being in the dictionary (which both phrases are) does make it correct. And formerly incorrect usages become correct usages over time through frequent use, so you can't dismiss 100% the frequent usage factor.

Yeah, except they're in the OED. Both phrases are. Nice try. It's a difference between British and American usage. See, what I don't get is that when people correct British spellings to American spellings, they're immediately dismissed and yet with this phrase people continue to argue back and forth. Double standards if I ever saw one. And with regards to your comment "The meanings of the words themselves have not changed no matter how many people wish it were so", you're quite simply wrong. Or are you going to tell me that the word "gay" means "happy" and not "homosexual"? Or that the word "nice" means "foolish, silly, simple; ignorant"? You accept the modern meaning of those words (at least I'm speculating) so you are by your own definition "dumbing down the language".

Baytheshark 14