Condolences

By Anonymous - 13/04/2013 00:13 - Australia - Brisbane

Today, I went to the funeral of my friend's brother. It was the first funeral I'd gone to, and I was really nervous. When the service finished, everyone went to pay their respects to the family. After I paid mine, they said, "Thank you for coming." I instictively replied, "My pleasure." FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 536
You deserved it 18 439

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That is a correct response it shows that you care enough to go

I believe the proper term may be "my condolences for your loss"

Comments

Why are my comments being deleted???!!!!

I kind of doubt they noticed. When I went through that, there were so many people saying the typical "I'm sorry for your loss" that everything kind of bled together. If they did notice though, I'm sure they'll understand OP.

That sounds okay to me. It would probably be taken to mean that you cared enough to go and grieve with the family.

You are very polite. I mean, that is how employees at Chick-Fil-A are trained to respond to customers who thank them. Courtesy matters.

Don't worry OP. They probably took your response as being your pleasure to be with them through tough times, supporting them if they need it, and caring for them.

olpally 32

Need a moment? Grab a twix! Its not that bad to say that, op.

simplysarcastics 26

Don't sweat it that is still acceptable. I am sure they took it the way you actually meant it. But you were nervous and when people loose loved ones we often get no responses or uncaring responses, because people may just not know what to say . But at least you cared enough to speak your best to them.

born_hustla 26

*facepalm* it's ok tho..nervousness can make you look bad.

Don't worry OP. One time someone said to me 'nice to see you', and I said 'that's alright'. So it could be worse.