Dumb it down

By alejandro38 - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I had an interview. I didn't get the job because apparently customers might not understand me, since I "talk too good." I just graduated with an English degree. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 901
You deserved it 3 584

Top comments

ArtIsResistance7 1

Maybe you offended the interviewer with your fancy jargon and flashy degree. Reach for new goals! Although, with an English degree, there isn't much hope.

zeebug 0

Actually, an English degree is very versatile. It can be used in almost all lines of work. It basically teaches you how to think well. You learn critical thinking skills, analytical skills, communication skills, and the ability to read and write well. All of the above are an important foundation for any career. The rest is just training, which most jobs do anyways.

Comments

if u had an English degree u would know that it should be "talk too well"

On another note: your interviewer fails English. "You talk too well" would've been the correct phrase. In other words, their clientele includes the undereducated, so they can't hire someone "that gots good talkin'".

Wouldn't it be you are too well spoken? Neither you speak well or you speak good are correct.

kylec00per 0

ydi for talking to good, lol jk

Why do so many people not realise how for many jobs in business, the university you attended is more important than the degree itself? Obviously if you want to be an engineer you need to study engineering, but if you want to go into something like advertising or sales it is of no significance. My mother's bosses at Merill lynch (a gigantic investment bank) when they employ, go through CVs and looks at whether it was a top ten university and they had a 2:1 or higher. If it wasn't, they bin it without looking at your degree and other skills. A degree for many jobs is simply a bit of paper saying "Look at me! I'm really clever, so you should employ me!"

That's actually a horrible system. Picking people based on such an arbitrary line as the "top ten university" is idiotic. The 10 universities that are labelled "top" are arbitrarily so, especially since they can only generalize through fields. For example, Chicago, not top 10, would have an economics degree MUCH more impressive than one even from Harvard. Berkeley's number one spot in biology should hold easily against even MIT. Your mom's system foolishly dismisses both of these based on a randomized, lazy ranking. In addition, the fact universities admit highschoolers, works in progress, means their admissions can't be relied on. I'll bet you anything the valedictorian of Case Western (you pretty much need a criminal record to not get in there) will be a much more impressive person than the average Yale student. Cutting out people by arbitrary, ignorant means like that is among the most idiotic things I have ever heard. I can only shudder when I think of how I plan to seek a job in banking right now.

I know exactly how you feel. I had two job interviews last Tuesday. I failed the first for being overqualified which is officially the most unnacceptable reason to reject someone for a job. I failed the second for being too posh; I'm actually not that posh, I just don't drop consonants and pronounce the letter 'h' correctly.

To be fair, I understand why some employers don't want to employ overqualified people. Some of the jobs I'm applying for are going to look at me and see me as someone who is just looking for money, who will ditch them as soon as I find a better job, leaving them to start the process again. Which is true! Or sometimes they don't want someone too qualified and ambitious in a basic, unchanging role, as they might disrupt the running of the company. But then again, it really does suck to be rejected for a job you're overqualified for, but really want to do.

needsagf14 12

dumb people really hate smart people.

Shouldn't it be "because I speak too well" rather than "talk too good"?

He put that phrase in quotation marks, indicating that someone else said that, not him.

171... I'm not a moron. I know someone else said it... I wasn't saying OP said it wrong. The company fails!

shit like this is what makes me hate humanity.

This post enrages me to no end. I'm not going to get into everything for fear of raising my blood pressure. humanity is doomed if these are the kind of people that run it. I am truly sorry you had to endure that bullshit interview and wish you the best.