Oh no…

By Anonymous - 05/07/2013 23:34 - United States - Houston

Today, I was telling my girlfriend about how my parents are flying out to Japan today on vacation. She was shocked at how short the flight will be, because "It's on the other side of the world." We live in the USA, and it seems I'm dating a Flat Earther. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 234
You deserved it 7 445

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It IS on other side of the world. USA is located in Western hemisphere. Japan - in Eastern. Regardless, Japan is pretty far from USA, unless your flight starts in Alaska.

21, "JUST" across Pacific? Direct distance from California to Japan is 8600+ kilometers (surface travel). That's 1/5th of earth's circumference. Distance from hawaii to japan is 6600+ kilometers. For comparison, Diameter of OUR PLANET is 6300+ kilometers. OP's girlfriend is much smarter than he is. And you people should've studied geography at school.

Comments

I don't get it... It is almost on the other side of the world and the flights can take over 14 hours. I know I lived in Hawaii. A flight from the Hawaii to the west coast was over 5 hours. Turn down the judgement and be nice!

rldostie 19

I agree. A flight from the east coast to the west coast is nearly 7 hours alone. The flight from the east coast to Japan is 14 hours. So I really don't get this FML. The OP just sounds like an asshole.

ervington 8

Yeah. This FML was stupid because everyone says that China is on the other side of the world. She probably didn't mean it as if she thought that the world was flat.

...Japan is still pretty far away from the US...

Take her to a beach and tell her to swim out. That scares the shit out of flat earthers

I Suppose it can be far if you went east instead, I took a flight from San Diego to Bahrain and that took well over 20 hours total.

mariab2898 13

Is it bad that I actually had to think about why this was wrong.

The phrase, "Dig a hole to China" .... Implying that you can dig straight down and get to China (opposite side of the globe).... And Japan and China are not exactly that far apart. Point being..... WTF is your post about..... "Flat Earther?"... Wtf????

Japan is pretty much on the other side of the world

it is on the other side of the world. your post makes absolutely no sense; I feel bad for her, she's dating the stupid one. if the earth was flat there wouldn't be another side, you'd just fall of. ******* stupid people posting stupid shit

I guess I don't think the OP's girlfriend is the dumb one here. If she really thought the Earth was flat, she wouldn't think you could really fly to the "bottom" part. Flat Earthers think all of the known planet is on the "top".

randybryant799 20

I'm confused. It is in the other side of the world. Did she say she was a flat earther or did you just assume?