Swindled

By Anonymous - 28/06/2012 16:53 - United States - Fallbrook

Today, I found out that the piece of vacant land I purchased for $20,000 is illegal to build a house on, due to acreage restrictions. Thank you, realtor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 561
You deserved it 5 681

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would have done research with the town first. With any kind of construction you want to talk to people about ordinances first. The realtor just wants to sell sell sell.

Could always build a paintball course and get revenue from that

Comments

That reminds me of those realtor commercials where they show all the problems that come when you don't use a realtor. Except this is a problem that came while using a realtor. Without a realtor he would have done the research himself and discovered the problem.

I'm pretty sure you can sue the company

Sue that cheap realtor...their suppose to know anyways, sounds like he just did you dirty.

as a realtor i have to point out that it is the responsibility of the buyer to check the zoning laws for any property that they plan on purchasing... it is however the responsibility of the realtor to tell you that though. the reason for that is that zones can change... its the same with school districts, sewer lines, cable service and electric service. If you really think your realtor is at fault then you should take it up with your state level real estate commission. not all states have that or its equivilant though. Sorry for the unfortunate situation.

Acreage restrictions and zoning are two different things entirely. As a realtor, you should know this.

ItsKennyBaby 9

Sounds like its time to put it on the market again !

With the way society works today you could choose to follow the trend of suing or you could sell it to the next sucker, but that could also end in you becoming sued this is a losr lose situation and the realator really screwed you over

i will take it. and if not im sure you can live in a tent.

YDI for not doing due diligence. I wouldn't buy a piece of land with the intention of building on it unless all the permits were in place already. Is there any way you can get a variance to build anyway? If you're only under the limit by a small amount, and you're building in a neighborhood that's already built out and it's just one more house like its neighbors, maybe you can petition for a variance. In any event I'd be talking to a lawyer to help me find out what my options are and the best way to go forward.