By moosy0_o - 07/04/2013 19:22 - Netherlands - Berlicum

Today, after paying for my groceries, I noticed that a bread-roll hadn't been charged. I felt guilty and went back to the register to pay for it. The cashier burst into derisive laughter and mockingly asked me if I was "running for Pope or something". FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 062
You deserved it 8 487

moosy0_o tells us more.

OP here. A few comments: the cashier was a guy, not a girl. I don't know why most of you think that. Also, there were two elderly people waiting in line who were laughing and berating me as some of the commenters here are doing. And I'm a woman from Belgium, not the Netherlands (but FML didn't ask for my country when I posted it). I WAS already out of the store and going home when I noticed it, so I needed to go back into the store, wait for a slow customer to pay while the rest of the cue was wondering why I was standing there like a complete idiot, and then explain to the cashier why I wanted to pay for the bread. By the way, the freshly baked, honestly-payed-for, Italian bun was delicious, after I had cleansed my palate from the disgusting comments I received.

Top comments

Whilst I admit that I wouldn't have gone back myself if it was just a bread roll from a chain store, I don't understand why you're getting shit for doing so. It's pretty depressing that people actually mock you for trying to be nice. Ignore them; you did a good thing.

VentiAnemoi 20

Don't be sad! At least you tried to do the right thing. Good for you!

Comments

Faith in humanity has been restored with you OP, don't worry what others say or think.. I say good on you!

That was an awesome thing you did. Ignore the people who think it's ok to not pay for something.

laserbeak 12

This is one of those situations where people start to believe that it doesnt pay to be kind.

It's probably way too late now, but if I were you, I would've spoken to his manager just to see his/her reaction to the fact that this guy not only mocked you, but was basically okay with the fact that you took something that he was irresponsible enough to not charge you for, which only digs him into a much deeper hole.

In your opinion, but I personally would like justice to be served and to possibly have this guy fired or at least shape up if I frequented the store. If seeing the manager and explaining the situation only took a few minutes, I'd don't see the big deal.

In my country, there are too many people too lazy to work, so my taxes pay for THEIR food. I wouldn't feel guilty at all if a error like yours went my way.

Is being honest such a rare thing nowadays? God, that just pisses me off. Good on you OP for being a good person in such a crappy world.

You did the right thing, that's all that matters!

From someone in the retail business, thank you for your honesty and good patronage. It is people like you who help keep the prices down while the thieves and hustlers cause us to have to raise prices on the honest consumers like yourself.

haha, that's fun because I did the same thing today for 2 onions. As it costed less than 2 euros, I couldn't pay by card and I didn't have any cash so the cashier told me to go back to buy something^^