By moosy0_o - 07/04/2013 19:22 - Netherlands - Berlicum

Today, after paying for my groceries, I noticed that a bread-roll hadn't been charged. I felt guilty and went back to the register to pay for it. The cashier burst into derisive laughter and mockingly asked me if I was "running for Pope or something". FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 062
You deserved it 8 487

moosy0_o tells us more.

OP here. A few comments: the cashier was a guy, not a girl. I don't know why most of you think that. Also, there were two elderly people waiting in line who were laughing and berating me as some of the commenters here are doing. And I'm a woman from Belgium, not the Netherlands (but FML didn't ask for my country when I posted it). I WAS already out of the store and going home when I noticed it, so I needed to go back into the store, wait for a slow customer to pay while the rest of the cue was wondering why I was standing there like a complete idiot, and then explain to the cashier why I wanted to pay for the bread. By the way, the freshly baked, honestly-payed-for, Italian bun was delicious, after I had cleansed my palate from the disgusting comments I received.

Top comments

Whilst I admit that I wouldn't have gone back myself if it was just a bread roll from a chain store, I don't understand why you're getting shit for doing so. It's pretty depressing that people actually mock you for trying to be nice. Ignore them; you did a good thing.

VentiAnemoi 20

Don't be sad! At least you tried to do the right thing. Good for you!

Comments

nursejohio 8

I got cash back after using my debit card. The cashier gave me $40 extra dollars and when I handed it back to him, he didn't even acknowledge it with a "thank you". I *really* wanted to snatch it back outta his ungrateful hands!

OP here. A few comments: the cashier was a guy, not a girl. I don't know why most of you think that. Also, there were two elderly people waiting in line who were laughing and berating me as some of the commenters here are doing. And I'm a woman from Belgium, not the Netherlands (but FML didn't ask for my country when I posted it). I WAS already out of the store and going home when I noticed it, so I needed to go back into the store, wait for a slow customer to pay while the rest of the cue was wondering why I was standing there like a complete idiot, and then explain to the cashier why I wanted to pay for the bread. By the way, the freshly baked, honestly-payed-for, Italian bun was delicious, after I had cleansed my palate from the disgusting comments I received.

Good on you OP; there aren't many these days who would do what you did.

Whilst I admit that I wouldn't have gone back myself if it was just a bread roll from a chain store, I don't understand why you're getting shit for doing so. It's pretty depressing that people actually mock you for trying to be nice. Ignore them; you did a good thing.

Hey, good for you, it's people like you the world runs on :)

Don't worry OP at least you are honest most people wouldn't do that my dad sometimes when they forget to scan his bottle water does that but considering he and my mom barely make enough to live he has no choice sometimes

Good on you, OP. I once did the same thing with a sixpack of Kriek Max. However, nobody made fun of me for doing so, and the cashier was very grateful for my honesty. Too bad for you there were so many a-holes around.

I respect your honesty.. myself if I was still standing physically in front of the cashier I would point it out to them and correct the problem. But I'm afraid that once I've left the store I really couldn't be bothered going back in to fix it. But really, good on you. I wouldn't have mocked you, though I might have spent a minute thinking 'did she REALLY just do that?'

RpiesSPIES 27

OP, don't feel ashamed, none of those people laughing at you would have the balls to do something so honest. You did the right thing.

I'm one of many that posted I do the same thing! I once drove 15 mins. To return $1.00 to a cashier cause I knew she'd lose her job over it! I've gone back into Walmart to pay for things that didn't get scanned! I'm on your side, sweetie! You did the right thing & I bet it was delicious! Honesty always tastes better than deceit!

The number one character quality of decamillionaires (worth $10 million or more) is fanatical levels of integrity. Don't listen to losers for doing the right thing; honesty will get you places.

Yay for you. I would have done the same thing. Having had my toddlers walk out of stores with toys, I always return them.

More people like you and the world would be better!

I'm sorry, OP, but you deserved it. Although yea it is moral, but over something like a loaf of bread, it doesn't really matter

If you think that. Imagine all the other people who shirk responsibility. Being a nice person isn't something to look down on.

Well obviously it mattered to her.

#145 Well obviously it mattered to her and that's why she did what she did!

Good on you, OP. Not many people would've done that. Honesty always trumps lies in the ens

You got to enjoy your bread roll, and you have a clear conscience. You are the better person than those nitwits, OP.

You did the right thing OP. I have customers bring items they forgot to purchase to the service desk after they've already left with them, and I think it's sweet. There are few people like that left in the world, you're a good person OP.

All never understand why people try and do the right thing. And I can tell I'll get thumped down for this, but I don't care. I've learned from this life that there's no more room for goodness and what's right. The word morals doesn't even mean anything now and people will do whatever it takes for the better of their lives.

You need to be banished from regular contact with people. There is ALWAYS room for morales and decency.

yeah I can tell you're not from the Netherlands, any Dutch person wouldn't have gone back to pay

dantee2005 33

You are best person. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise

I would like to say something similar happened to me. when I got my change back I added it up and she gave me an extra dollar and I gave it back.

Good on you though for being honest. That's exactly what I would have done so you're awesome in my book!

AletheDefender 15

I would have done the same, that was very rude of them

"Haha, why is paying for the bread important to you? It's not as if it's illegal to not pay for it. Gosh, you're stupid." Note that I'm being sarcastic.

lexiieeex3 32

145- Jean Valjean went to prison for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. OP just saved some serious jail time.

Don't listen to what they said, at the end of the day, honesty wins. Good on you for going back to pay!

Blij om te zien dat er toch nog zo'n goede mensen zijn. ik deed stage in een winkel en daar waren de mensen allesbehalve vriendelijk en ik denk niet dat ze hetzelfde als jou zouden doen moest zoiets voorvallen. Trek je niets van die slechte commentaren aan, je bent een goed mens! :-)

FalconWhitaker 20

Ignore what those assholes said. Well done for being a good, honest person. You did the right thing. :)

Make a complaint, OP. There's nothing wrong with being honest. You did a good thing.

kamaake 4

I work at a grocery store and any time someone would come in and pay for something that didn't get rung up I would always make sure to thank them, not for paying for the item but for being an honest, decent person. So to you OP, I thank you

born_hustla 26

Well, look at the jerk and walk away and thank God for your bread of the day!

Well excuse you for being an honest person.

Good for you OP! By the way, how do over 2000 people think you deserved it???

cmb8280 24

2,000+ people are lying, cheating slime balls who don't have the integrity or character to do what OP did. That's how.

They've just been released from prison.