By Anonymous - 06/01/2010 18:19 - United States

Today, I found out my dad spent most of the $500 I earned from mowing lawns on an Xbox 360 for himself. He was the one who encouraged me to put the money in the bank for college and to learn responsibility. I'm 14 years old. He's 37. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 946
You deserved it 2 886

Same thing different taste

Top comments

See if it's possible to locate the receipt and return it. Otherwise, sell it and pocket the money.

Comments

He also taught you a valuable lesson about trust too. He probably thought you weren't going to make it to college anyway.

Sorry to hear that. You should call the cops on him. I'm sure a night or two in jail will make him realize that theft is not ok.

and he would go to jail ... why? For legally buying a 360? THE HORROR OF SUCH CRIME! This dastardly villain must be put to justice ASAP. Idiot.

Well, I mean doesn't your parents legally own everything you have even if you buy it with your "own money" untill you're 18 anyway? So technically he can't get arrested for it (I think, I could be wrong) but he's still a dick for doing it.

At #8 I must serriously protest to your comment. Who do you seriously think spends the most time on the internet? We go to school do homework and than i bet 90% of us start browsing the internet or get on facebook or myspace. Seriously dont discriminate on age and i bet half of us can use a computer better than you anyway, do you have any idea the number of research papers ive already had to do this year searching down all the info and proper mla format i come to this website every now and than for some laughs but seriously your a dick.

Yeah, I'm 11 and I've been using the internet since I was about 7 or 8. I don't think you should get so pissed off though...he has his opionin, you have yours. Try writing better, I don't get this part "We go to school do homework and than i bet 90% of us start browsing the internet or get on facebook or myspace."

CyclonePsycho 1

... You know, paying attention in school isn't all bad. You may even learn great things! Like maybe, oh, I don't know... some form of grammar? Seriously, if you're going to prove 14-year-olds are smart, please make your argument at least half-way readable. =

Pay more attention in English! It can teach you the difference between your and you're! This is supposed to be @ #16. Idk why it posted down here.

You obviously haven't learned the difference between "your" and "you're" yet. Go back to playing with your dolls little one. You aren't that smart.

I have no issue with fourteen year old people using the internet and I do agree that person is kind of a prick for saying that but you hurt your own argument by your inability to check the spelling or grammar of your post. Also, while a fourteen year old does have a great deal of stuff to do on a computer for school you do have to realize that a good deal of people who are on the internet that are over over the age of fourteen also have had to use a computer in school, are still using a computer in college, or have to use one for work. I would imagine many of them also use computers for recreational purposes such as facebook and myspace.

xmagster 0

#33, if that is a response to #23, 11 year old kid, I am happy to inform you that YOU'RE wrong. YOU'RE is a contraction you you are. It's yours. Don't be a prick. and to #16, Boo hoo. You're in highschool. Get used to actually doing work and -gasp- mla format. It's not a big deal. Really. easybib.com. ¬¬

Why the heck would you think he was referring to #23? He said nothing about "yours" and "your's". Try paying attention. It's obvious he was referring to #16.

Wait until he finds out that high school doesn't matter in the real world at all. Oh little kids, they all think they know everything and are smart as shit. And #16, I highly doubt half of you 14 year olds can use a computer better than us older folks. What have you been using a computer for 5 years? That's such a long time! I'm pretty sure I'm safe in saying that most 14 year olds probably don't know a god damn thing about a computer, except how to login to facebook and check wikipedia for those "research" papers you have to do.

thighsofglory 0

Hey! Please stop ratting on the younger people. Seriously. It doesn't make you cooler or any better at computers. Make your point but please be nice about it. The internet has a wide range of users. My great grandpa who is turning 93 soon uses the internet to check the stockmarket and my 3 year old sister uses the computer to play childhood developement games like on the kids part of the BBC website. And I bet that a college student who has been using the internet for schoolwork for 10 years still doesn't fully understand a lot of the sites. So please, be nice to the younger people when you, yourself can't say you know everything about the internet either.

sonazn 0

You took a longer time to get to your current level of knowledge, is that really something to show off about? Get an education about life, instead of sitting on your old ass at the computer and you'll realize age doesn't limit education level. A 14 year old can be smarter then someone of older age, just face it.

#59 & #16: A great tool for organizing research sources and formatting citations & reference lists is Zotero (zotero.org), which is a Firefox add-on. If you haven't tried it, it is a lifesaver for big research papers.

It's possible yes but it's not guaranteed. That's all I was saying.

xmagster 0

#81... yeah, he was so obviously referring to 16 that 16 doesn't even use any form of "your / you're" in their statement, as poorly spelled and sprinkled with grammatical errors it may be. =/

deepunder 17

At #85. What is it u can do that a 14 year old cant do? Support your opinion a little better.

85, you're an idiot. Just let me put that out there, please. The message you're currently reading was written by a 13 year old girl in the 8th grade. My family has had a computer since I was about 6, and a working one that was capable of accessing the internet since I was 7. At that point, I learned many controls, and actions you can do online, through Webkinz, an online world of plush pets, and messaging your friends, playing games, and all around learning internet etiquette. Shortly after that, I started doing other games and such, playing one called Howrse- a game about horses, in which you learn both the proper steps to take care of one, and you also compete to try to have the most skilled horse. From all the interactions with other people (not just children on Howrse, I've been on a "breeding team" with women over the age of 50) I learned what is right and wrong to say and do. At this point, my mother thought it was acceptable for me to have a Facebook account, to keep in touch with our relatives who live elsewhere, as it was more convenient for them than simply emailing me was. In short, through internet exploration, both at home, and the public school I go to, I learned enough about the internet to fully use Facebook, safely, I might add, at 8 years of age. Because of this fact, I simply cannot wrap my mind around the fact that anyone thinks the OP is too young to be on the internet, or too young for this site/app. If you read this all, thank you so much for spending your time on something I wrote.

Also, 85, something I forgot to add, as I've just woken up, is that any research papers I do, or any project whatsoever that requires research, I do not utilize Wikipedia, as it's a very simple thing for someone to just go in and change. The secondary school I will be attending this September has a strict rule against it, and you can be expelled for having found any information on Wikipedia. I'm hoping that clears up your false assumptions about internet use in teens and preteens.

dude I would kill my dad. You should steal the Xbox and return it, or just sell it on eBay. Either way next time u see ur dad just hit him in the balls and give him a big ole **** you

sweetbiotch88 0

now this is an fml, sorrry bro

"Today my stupid ass, know it all 14 year old, little shit of a kid really pissed me off. I emptied his bank account of five hundred bucks just to make myself feel better and got an x-box 360. Maybe the bastard will learn some manners and respect that I have spent fifty times this amount on him." Win, I want to shake your dad's hand.

hellowhowareyou 0

If the parents are willing to **** and have a child, they better be willing to support their creation.

At least he didn't steal the money for drugs like my dad does. I really sucks that he took your money, but as a minor, he legally has control over every cent you make if he chooses to exercise that control. Between ages 16 and 18 my dad seized all my paychecks, and there was legally nothing I could do to stop him. Now that I'm 19, he just steals my money. If I were you, I'd talk to him about whether or not this is going to happen every time you earn money. I would also find a good hiding place that your father wouldn't think of or doesn't have access to. Also, to the person who said his dad was really young, my father is the same age as his (37), and I'm about to turn 20. Young parents aren't common, but they exist.

so ? now you have an xbox 360 ! just no college fund . . .

500 dollars isn't rally a college fund but it's a start.