By Anonymous - 13/09/2011 05:53 - United Kingdom

Today, I found out that the engineers I work with believe that a woman with an engineering degree working in an engineering company is apparently equivalent to a "secretary for engineers." I am that woman. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 897
You deserved it 3 628

Same thing different taste

Top comments

leadman1989 15

Well they are smart, joking put some boot to ass and show them who's boss!!!

btstig 11

Outwork them to shut their bitching up.

Comments

Yeh. I'm love auto tech and been refused several places just because I'm a woman. They look at the person not the skill. Besides that haters will hate and gawkers will gawk. Use their negativity to fuel you fire and encourage you and let em hate bc you're skilled.

lionskull 2

some places hire men instead of women because women can be distracting without even trying... just saying.... its not always sexism (i dont think)

So by your logic, if I hire at my place a homosexual male that means I should only employ other women, so that other males won't be distracting for him? Or should the person I hire have the minimal professionalism to separate their crushes from their job? And if someone's gender is so distracting for you that you can't do your job then the problem is in you and not the other person. Besides, women are also attracted to other people (be it male or female) so same could be said if you reversed the genders. By "distraction", do you mean someone's attractiveness? Which again, is not gender dependent since men are attractive as well. And again, if you are so thirsty for attention from the gender you're attracted to that you are unable to do your job - the problem is in you and not others. tl;dr: you're full of shit.

BigPerro4life 0

I don't see the problem? You need to be kept in check.

If you're a recent graduate, you ARE a secretary for engineers, regardless of gender, until the more senior engineers decide you have enough real world experience to not kill people. If you're an experienced engineer, you should know better than to put up with that by now. If you're an engineering tech calling yourself an engineer, please stop calling yourself what you're not.

jtrololol2 3

get the **** backin the kitchen bitch

You can engineer a way to get their coffee. :)

lionskull 2

obviously she is qualified i mean she is whining about it on fml; that gives anybody the best qualification anyone can need to work at an engineering company. obviously. no it doesnt she could suck at her job or be new to it. not saying she is.

lionskull 2

every single on of the engineers at the company probably went to college and got a job at that company that doesn't earn u respect, she still has to prove that she is worthy of respect. and arent u being a bit sexist saying that an engineering women is better than an AVERAGE woman??????? are you saying that average women are not as good as just because they didnt get an engineering degree??? other than that i agree with you

And how have the others earned her respect? Again, you're full of shit. I can't imagine having employed such unprofessional, childish people. You don't give the "newbies" jobs that have nothing to do with why they are employed and you do not disrespect them just because they're new. You should understand that they're new and offer them help to adapt even more quickly than they would on their own because that is how they grow as an asset to your team and company even faster and you have a team that works good and well together. You should also acknowledge that they are fresh from school and ask for their input since they have more "fresh"/"newer" knowledge about their expertise and might know newer and better ways to do things than some old engineer who didn't update her/his knowledge in years.

That's a pity. Hey, your hair looks real nice today. Can you get me a cup of coffee please.

anawfulhuman 0

Try hiring the treadmill and getting a breast enhancement.

IAmTheHeavens 0

The sexism on here is astounding. Stop saying "ignore it" or "get over it". Sexism is wrong and needs to be stopped. Women can do jobs as well as men can and vice versa. Be proud of your degree and status. My mom is an engineer and she's in charge of a bunch of men who, even if they tried, couldn't do her job as well as she can. It's about time it became about who can do the job and not about if you have a dick or not.