By hitnmiss66 - 28/05/2012 00:31 - United Kingdom - Birmingham

Today, I introduced my boyfriend to my parents. My dad turns around and says he was expecting him to have a guide dog. This is why I don't have much confidence in myself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 474
You deserved it 2 114

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you really wanted to shock your dad, you should have replied "Nah he doesn't need one. He prefers to wear the collar himself."

Comments

FleshForFantasy 3

Next time tell him, "It's not my fault. I did get my looks from you." .... Sorry, op. I know it's not easy to let go of those type of comments. Especially when it's coming from your parents.

grndNpnd 6

That sucks i am sorry to hear that. Parents can be real stupid

Rainbowbright99 4

I had to confront my dad about his comments to my sister. He thought he was being funny. I told him he was being a... Insert bad words here... He shut-up.

skyeyez9 24

Parents who make fun of their kids' appearance are retarded, considering You get all of your physical traits (and to an extent personality quirks) from them!

Okay, that sounds like something my Dad would have said back in the day! RIP Dad! Now, I wish he were here to make his stupid jokes!

FarscapeSDC 9

even if somebody else has said it, I'll say it anyway "Troll-dad strikes again!"

Next time just say to your father: "I know you don't mean anything by it but even so, it hurts my feelings when you make jokes like that," Or words to that effect. If he apologizes, accept the apology. Either way, drop it. Don't get in an argument about it. Let him have the last word. Then whenever he does it after that, just say "Ouch," and look sad for a second. If he's reachable, and he probably is, he'll get the message and stop. Even if he doesn't stop completely, he'll respect you more for standing up for yourself. If it's beyond you handling on your own, enlist your mother, a sibling, concerned relative, one of his friends or one of your friends' parents to speak to him on your behalf. If it's an extreme case speak to other adults or a professional. Chances are high that your father loves you and wishes the best for you, and wants your love and respect in return. He may lack the awareness or social skills to create that kind of relationship. He may just need you to help him come ahead.