By Fibericon - 17/08/2009 20:02 - Taiwan

Today, I showed up at work and a coworker pointed a gun at me. After twisting his arm and leveling his face into the wall, I found out it was a lighter. Now I might lose my job over his stupid joke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 052
You deserved it 5 465

Fibericon tells us more.

Wow, didn't expect this many comments. I talked to my boss about it today. The coworker had actually lodged a complaint, but conveniently forgot to mention the whole thing about a lighter that looks like a gun. He doesn't work there anymore. The main reason I thought I was going to lose my job was that he had worked there for a lot longer than I had. I've been there less than a year. I was worried that he could have said anything he wanted and I'd end up with the shit end of the stick just because I was new. As for whether or not I over reacted, maybe I could have taken a moment to analyze the situation, but it's not like he was trying to take my wallet or telling me to do anything. He silently pointed a "gun" at me. The last time I spoke to him I had said to him was that his English sucked and he shouldn't be teaching (I work at an ESL institute). The next time I saw him, gun in the face. I asked a cop friend from the states about it, he said if someone pointed that at him they'd get shot.

Top comments

Lose your job over it? He should lose his job for pulling such an immature prank at work.

Don't listen to anyone telling you that you deserve it. They just think they could react calmly in a situation like it's some sort of movie where they can dodge a bullet and face danger down, maybe throw in a cool line like Dirty Harry telling the guy about the gun he's holding and tell him something like, "You couldn't hit a, etcetera." He pulled something out on you like it was a gun. It was shaped like a gun. Guns come in all sizes - some smaller than a credit card. Just tell your co-worker and boss that you have no hard feelings, and at the end of the day, he's the one with the bruised body.

Comments

flyboy57 0
dandymidori 0

Your coworker should be the one that's on the chopping block. That kind of "messing around" in the office shouldn't be tolerated. A LIGHTER IS ALSO VERY DANGEROUS ):'

alwaysalady 0

I would have done the same thing. I've been threatened by a lighter held beneath a man's sweatshirt once, and again I was threatened from behind by someone with a beer bottle against my temple. They both went down. You don't **** around with weapons. Just say you were in fear of your life when they question you.

Guys, it wasn't some random guy off the street, it was a coworker. He should have realized it was a prank, he overreacted and assaulted a coworker. YDI.

Ever heard of disgruntled employees? Even co-workers have the ability to kill each other if they're pissed off enough.

greatnt249 0

I bet that's what the postal workers thought before they got mowed down by their crazed coworkers... You're an idiot; the OP shouldn't have to be punished for an idiotic prank on his coworker's part.

CheshireHalli 19

Like the dude from Office Space. "I'm going to burn this place down..."

Yeah, there was a guy in my last job who was a workplace shooting waiting to happen... isolated loner, paranoid, minor workplace violence if he had pointed anything remotely looking like a gun at me I would have tackled first and assumed he was playing a prank second The point is the coworker wanted to elicit a reaction. He got one, just not the one he expected.

Yes because no one has ever been shot by their co-worker. Oh wait...

strawberryswirl 0

Hey asshole, guess what? At an outdoor party at my community theatre in April, the president's husband (certainly not a random guy) walked up and shot a friend of his. Everyone thought it was a joke, so no one moved. He then shot his wife and another man. They're all really dead now. I'd say the OP's mistake was much better.

Wow You shouldn't lose your job. You legitimately thought he was pointing a gun at you. He shouldn't have done that, and he should be the one fired, not you. fyl

that sounds suspiciously like gran turino

9az00 0

I know its a stupid lighter, but if anyone here has been around guns at all (hell, even if you're anti gun), you would know that's no joke. People get shot over shit like that all the time. **** all those people that say "YDI for not realizing it's fake." concealedcarrystories.com go to the "ccw saves lives" section if you don't believe me.

Jennydew 0

Uh, if it looked like a gun, I'm not going to stand there and try to figure out if it's a lighter or not. I would have defended myself too. Maybe not in the exact same way. You shouldn't lose your job for someone's stupid joke.

to everyone saying that he overreacted have obviously never heard the phrase "going postal", just becasue its a coworker doesn't mean that violence can't happen in the work place. Also it could be a really be office/company, and the two of the might have had little to no contact so its safe to say it could have surprised him. Also military/martial art training tends to hone your response to this sort situation, while brutal it is meant to be effective, so until one of you quaint little suburbanites has a gun/knife pulled on you in a real life situation shut your damn mouths