By mrsmahdi - 20/07/2015 14:29 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was fired from my dream job for being pregnant. Apparently, you can't teach children while growing one inside you. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 610
You deserved it 2 444

mrsmahdi tells us more.

They fired me in a clever way by telling me they didn't have anything for me to teach and that me going on maternity leave was too hard on the students I had so someone else was doing my classes. So I was not officially fired so much as pushed out and replaced

Top comments

HR then court. You can't be fired for being pregnant as a teacher.

That's incredibly stupid. I'm sure you'll find a better job in not time. Good luck with the baby. I'm sure you'll be an amazing mother.

Comments

legitmidget6912 1

If your dream job is a teacher your life is sad enough

I've never been a teacher (in fact, I've only recently left school) but, although many teachers are overworked and underpaid, I imagine that educating children can be an extremely fulfilling and rewarding job to do. I, for one, feel extremely grateful towards (most of) my old teachers.

This is the part where you call the ACLU...

That is all kinds of illegal in the US

The Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) forbids discrimination based on pregnancy when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, such as leave and health insurance, and any other term or condition of employment. You have 180 days to file a complaint with EEOC (but maybe longer if CA law says different). Good luck OP, I hope you can fight this.

what're you complaining about? you hit the jackpot! as a teacher, this is against federal law in all states, including california. you cannot be fired for being pregnant. call the news and sue them for millions then retire. wish I had your luck

that is HIGHLY illegal op. get ahold of a lawyer and file a discrimination lawsuit

There's definitely something else going on here. No school that's been around for any reasonable amount of time (and most new ones hire people that have been around for awhile to get things started), would illegally fire someone. Chances are higher that you did something worthy of being fired. Like being a bad a teacher. Or perhaps you told a child how you got pregnant? As in the sex ed talk without having their parents sign a slip. I knew a teacher that got fired for doing just that. Can't tell kids about sex without parental permission. Either way, you're not telling the whole story.

What's going on, from OP's replies, is that she was working for a charter school. Charter schools are scams designed to suck money from the public education budget so that politicians can defund public schools even more. They don't have the oversight of a public school, nor do they care about their long-term reputation like most private schools. They also don't have teachers unions so they can get away with much shadier practices with regard to their employees.

you do realize you can sue and be compensated for if not get your job back

saffy66 34

Here in Australia that would be a case for unfair dismissal and a claim under sex discrimination. Even the 'clever' way they did it wouldn't work. Sorry you had that experience OP.