By mrsmahdi - 20/07/2015 14:29 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was fired from my dream job for being pregnant. Apparently, you can't teach children while growing one inside you. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 610
You deserved it 2 444

mrsmahdi tells us more.

They fired me in a clever way by telling me they didn't have anything for me to teach and that me going on maternity leave was too hard on the students I had so someone else was doing my classes. So I was not officially fired so much as pushed out and replaced

Top comments

HR then court. You can't be fired for being pregnant as a teacher.

That's incredibly stupid. I'm sure you'll find a better job in not time. Good luck with the baby. I'm sure you'll be an amazing mother.

Comments

That's illegal. Pregnant is a protected class and you cannot be discrimitorally fired for being so. I'd lawyer up if I was you.

I smell a huge lawsuit and a big payout coming your way OP.

You can't be fired for being pregnant from ANY job. Get a lawyer.

Since California is an "at will" state, it would be very hard to prove that she was fired because she was pregnant and not just because, making a lawsuit difficult. It does suck, but unfortunately, suing would probably only waste your time and money. They just have to say "we didn't fire her for being pregnant, we just decided not to keep her."

ezrajab 22

That has lawsuit written all over it! They can't fire you for that! Hope it works out sorry op.

That's illegal in the US. Do your employers not Know that? You cannot be fired just for being pregnant. of course going back could mean they will try to find something else to fire you for. Or even worse make something up.

magickiss87 22

I don't think that's legally acceptable. Though I'm sure they'd claim there were "other reasons" besides that just to get out of dealing with legal repercussions.

You cannot be fired for being pregnant regardless of you occupation. I'd take them straight to court

In the US, pregnancy is a protected status. They cannot fire you for it.

LadyLuck93 20

What a lame excuse. Report these assholes to court, OP