By mrsmahdi - 20/07/2015 14:29 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was fired from my dream job for being pregnant. Apparently, you can't teach children while growing one inside you. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 610
You deserved it 2 444

mrsmahdi tells us more.

They fired me in a clever way by telling me they didn't have anything for me to teach and that me going on maternity leave was too hard on the students I had so someone else was doing my classes. So I was not officially fired so much as pushed out and replaced

Top comments

HR then court. You can't be fired for being pregnant as a teacher.

That's incredibly stupid. I'm sure you'll find a better job in not time. Good luck with the baby. I'm sure you'll be an amazing mother.

Comments

My teacher was pregnant and taught us until the day she had to give labor (literally on the day)

It is very unlawful to fire a woman for being pregnant. They just put a huge law suit on their shoulders

Based on what I've read from OP, including the follow ups, something seems fishy to me. Either there is another side to this story, or what they did was illegal and OP is just willing to accept it without a fight. If that is the case then YDI, if you are going to try to do something about it then FYL at the moment and hopefully it works out.

LazyLion 12

I thought that's what maternal leave was for?

thaqueen_fml 15

I'm almost positive that's illegal. Don't just let that slide.

orealys1 7

It is illegal to be fired if and or because you are pregnant.

ARSCON 15

This is ridiculous... They shouldn't be allowed to do that. I know a teacher who is pregnant and still got a job.

How long were you there? Where you still on probation?

The last time I checked being pregnant isn't a protect class so no it is not discrimination for all you commenters thinking it is. I'm glad to see all the legal advice here on **** my life... Lol

I suggest you look up Pregnancy discrimination act. The Act covers discrimination "on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions."

Pregnancy is very much a protected class, and it is very much illegal to fire someone because they are pregnant. You may think you are TheOnlyGod, so you may think you know everything without having to look it up, but as a pregnant woman, I am well informed regarding my rights in the work place, in Canada and in the U.S. So rather than laughing at us all for providing "legal advice" (which all I've seen is people suggesting to speak to a lawyer to get said legal advice) why don't you do some research before making a fool of yourself.