By Bilze - 17/05/2012 18:57 - United States - Burke

Today, I was reading a book on paper for the first time in maybe a month. I had to stop at a word I did not recognise. Because I'm so used to using a Kindle, I tried to get the definition by pressing it. I had my finger on the word for a few seconds before I realised it was paper. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 638
You deserved it 40 738

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

That is probably the biggest fail ever. Fail.

At least op didn't get a paper cut. Paper is EVIL. FIGHT THE POWER!

luckyd880 12

#1- so what are you trying to say?

That op's attempt at finding a word definition on a paper book was a fail.

Inheritance 10

Love how people can get theses "FMLs" on that aren't really FMLs, but you could have a real FML and not get it on. Makes no sense.

MarisaCB 16

As much as a fail as that is, I have to admit that sometimes I get distracted and do things like that.

Inheritance, FML is a humour site that people share their experiences on how life can sometimes flip us off. It's not all about "My mum died. FML" or "I told my parents i'm gay, they disowned me. FML". Then FML would get depressing as shit. Besides, the Moderators choose which FMLs they want.

TheEpicMilkMan 13

we should call the world record book and tell them to add this lady in there for biggest epic fail correct?

OP is the reason why it's harder than ever for writers to make a living. Damn electronic publishing!

This made me die inside. What happened to a good old fashioned paperback? Am I the only one who refuses to embrace the kindle?

Similar thing has happened to me with touch screen and non-touch screen phones. But confusing a kindle and a paperback requires a lot lower number of brain cells.

clarissasyima 7

Ahh the things technology does to us..

lenamartinovic 13

Yeah, like that the other day I was copying something onto the iPad, and it was covering the rest of the paragraph so I tried scrolling. ;)

WeAreAHurricane 14

Nope, me too. There's something special about feeling a new book cover in between your fingers and smelling the pages. (nerdiest comment ever)

This just like another fml in which a guy was writing a word that he didnt with paper and pencil and he was waiting for auto correct

TheEpicMilkMan 13

@80 sorry, I wasn't thinking at the time, which is why it was such a terrible comment. I apologize.

#91, your comment is not nerdy. It is the TRUTH. Getting a brand new book is the best feeling ever, when you open it for the very first time, the binding squeaks a little and the delicious scent of new paper and fresh adventures reaches your nose...

alisidewinder 9

While I love a good paperback, I love ebooks as well. I don't care if the book is printed on paper or on a screen, if it's a good book I'm going to read it.

robinhood007 9

Well said 116, I am tired of electronic books and paper books being at war. All I known is people need to read more and if it takes technology to do that then so be it, and if it saves some paper too, I am all in.

It's okay. I've freaked out because I couldn't find the undo button while messing up on writing or drawing.

Not really.... She/he just was so used to the kindle....

#31 but no dude, you don't understand dude, it's like... ummm... pathetic... dude.

Da_Bauss435 8
lucy_lue 9

31- It's still pathetic. A Kindle and a book are very different things. I can't see getting them that mixed up.

KiddNYC1O 20

I don't see how it's pathetic...

The number of times the word "pathetic" has been used in this thread is kind of pathetic. (And yes, I know I said it twice. Deal wif it h8rz.)

robinhood007 9

The reason they did it was because of muscle memory. They did not think about what they were holding, they just did what they normally do. Not pathetic at all, but it's definitely not an FYL situaion....or YDI for that matter.

bombardtower 1

I wouldn't call it muscle memory. Holding a book is different than holding a Kindle. Unless the person doesn't have situational awareness.

reddudeover 2

I wonder if face and palm are friends or enemies? Friends - Hey face. Hey palm. Nice to see you again. Yeah, I guess someone did something stupid again who would have guessed it. :D Enemies - We face each other once more. It appears so. This time I shall dispatch you swiftly in glorious battle. NEVER, you shall die by my hand. >:(

Or maybe it was a.. *puts on sunglasses* facebook

I guess it's true that the printed word is dying, huh?

No, it's just that people are getting dumber.

robinhood007 9

So by reading on a Kindle you're dumber then reading on paper? I don't think that's how it works.

No, but you get more eye strain with tablets than with paper books. Thus making you not want to read, then you get dumber. Trust me my brother found that out the hard way. iPad= going from strait A student with 20/20 to Strait F's With glasses.

See iPads won't even spell straight right. DUAC!!!

I think there's a more underlying cause than the fact that he was reading on an iPad.

Imagine trying to tell this to your grandparents - they'd prolly be so annoyed haha

Imagine saying "prolly" in front of your grandparents, they'd probably be so annoyed.

lucy_lue 9

6- I'm not a grandparent or a parent and I'm still annoyed.

"When I was a boy, we walked twelve miles to the library for ONE book" *raspy grandpa voice* lol

It's embarrassing how often I've done the same thing.

CrzyMnky 0

I've done it before after reading 13 books in a row on my Kindle.

I do the same thing all the time. :)

IantoJones_fml 28

Seems ok to me. Maybe you need better reading comprehension.

recognize is spelled wrong.. but other than that I got the gist of what OP was saying.

sierra142 19

^^ recognise is the English spelling. Get your facts straight.

'Recognise' is correct. 'Recognize' also works as well. Lrn2english, bro.

#26, It depends where you live. There is a lot of English spelling differences. You can look up "Canadian, British, and English spelling differences" on Google.

well I learned something new, rather harshly. so sorry but I have always spelled it as recognize :)

As long as we are learning things, what does OP mean guys? *trollface*

#45, I'm sorry if mine was one that sounded harsh. I don't mean for any of my comments to seem harsh or mean. Just sometimes neutral.

No it wasn't you it was the chick right after my comment. Your comment was fine. I guess I don't think of American vs British/Canadian spelling of random words. That and English is so twisted in its variations of spelling. C'est la vie.

Books are on paper? Since when? Shit...

Long ago a woman took a massive shit and had no toilet paper. Next to her was a a notebook that she used to wipe her ass. Thus, she produced the infamous book, twilight. No book was written on paper again...

This fail was brought to you by amazon.

Customers who failed like this also bought: a small fail, an epic fail, a ceiling fan, a win, and a chair.

I already have the small fail, now all I need is the epic fail to complete my collection

Wouldn't you want everything else to complete the collection? Not just the epic fail?