By whatsername92 - 01/02/2013 03:35 - United States

Today, my boyfriend gave me the most beautiful diamond ring I have ever seen. As I excitedly put it on my finger, he told me it wasn't an engagement ring, but I should wear it like one to keep other men away and seem "unapproachable". FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 535
You deserved it 4 557

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Rddvl 11

if that's just a ring to keep others away, imagine what your actual wedding ring will look like!

Buy him an awesome new car and tell him, "Oh no, you're not allowed to drive it. I just want to keep it in your driveway so everyone thinks I have a rich boyfriend." Then keep the key in a lock box at the bank, just to be sure. Let's see how he likes it.

Comments

So...it's an engagement ring and he doesn't want to admit he wants to commit? If not, don't be a brat... Nice ring! :)

KiddNYC1O 20
AnyaS 19

Well if you don't want him I'll take him.

KiddNYC1O 20

Her bf is the blue waffle. Still want him?

Buy him an awesome new car and tell him, "Oh no, you're not allowed to drive it. I just want to keep it in your driveway so everyone thinks I have a rich boyfriend." Then keep the key in a lock box at the bank, just to be sure. Let's see how he likes it.

Last time I checked giving gifts to your girlfriends is supposed to be a good thing, so giving "non-engagement" rings as a gift should be fine too.

It normally is a good thing, but the meaning behind this one makes it ****** up.

ExtremeEncounter 32

It's not like he's not letting her wear the ring.

Aregonde 15

Why are people voting this comment down? Sounds like an apt interpretation of the boyfriend's gesture.

wagne057 6

He just wants to make sure no one steals you.

DoctorWho4TW 8

Gotta love how everyone's slamming on OP for being ungrateful. It's not the diamond ring, it's the gesture. The guy seems kinda controlling, like he's claiming her as his property. Without officially committing.

I see why you might be upset but it's still pretty sweet. Appreciate the gesture, he wants to keep you around and wants other guys to know you're taken. If you're upset it's not an engagement ring don't be, he's probably just not ready yet and you need to respect that.

You don't see that behavior and not have red flags go off?

Iknoweverything 29

The gesture is simply "I don't want others to have you, but I don't want you to be engaged to me." I wouldn't appreciate that either. Personally, I think OP should refuse to wear it until he proposes to her. If it's not an engagement ring, then she shouldn't have to make the world think she is engaged. Until he's ready to commit, he has no right to tell her to do something that drives other men away.

He wants you all to himself why is that so bad? Maybe he's going to ask for your hand in marriage later on, he probably just isn't ready yet. If he bought you such a nice diamond ring for this trivial reason, imagine what your engagement ring will look like!

Maybe she's not so materialistic that she considers it "romantic" to use controlling and possessive behavior on her in exchange for a costly piece of carbon. There are actually a few women out there who can see beyond a man's wallet.

What planet are you from? No there isn't. :)

33: She seemed upset that she got a very pretty ring from her boyfriend and it wasn't an engagement ring.. I was just trying to give op some encouragement that her boyfriend most likely will marry her when the time comes. The extra pretty ring will just be a bonus.

I doubt she'll WANT to marry him if he's that controlling. She should certainly be asking some questions before she commits to something like that... if he's like that now, christ knows what he'll be like once she's trapped herself with him for life. Incredibly needy, I'd imagine.

hellobobismyname 24

He just gave her a prop to ease his insecurities. It's not about how gorgeous or expensive a ring is, it's the sentiment behind it. For example, when my boyfriend first proposed to me, when we were young and stupid, he got down on his knee and tied a piece of plastic around my ring finger. It was cheap and ugly but it was a promise to love me forever. I kept it all these years and it's something I won't forget. Of course, it wasn't an official engagement but like I said: it's the meaning of the gesture, not the ring itself, that really means anything.

That guy must have a lot of money laying around to execute his plan.