By WittyMoron - 01/07/2015 18:10 - United Kingdom

Today, our family dog died. A couple of hours after the death, my mother-in-law slapped my crying five year old son over the head and told him to "Man up." She totally refuses to admit she did anything wrong. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 873
You deserved it 2 191

WittyMoron tells us more.

I told my wife that was completely unacceptable, and as some people said, I took the high road in not slapping her back. I began an argument with my wife about it, and it got a bit intense. I told her that her mother could not come back, and she got quite angry. I went into the living room and began to cry. This is what gets me. What she did taught him the wrong thing. My son came in, said "Man up, daddy!" and tried to slap me, but he's little so it didn't hurt. But anyway, I got even more furious that he had learnt something from it. The argument ensued. Things are a bit cold. Sleeping on the sofa now but I told my son it's okay to be upset. Buried the dog, and needless to say my MIL is not invited back for a little while.

Top comments

Comments

I'm so sorry OP. Tell your mother in law I said to go take a long walk off of a short pier, because my cat was put down when I was 16 and I cried so hard I almost passed out. I also cried about her just yesterday and I'm 24 now. (I actually took clippings of the tree we buried her under because it felt like we were bringing her with us in a small way) Please make sure to tell your son that she was wrong and that crying is a healthy release of emotion and can make you feel better when you're sad. Please also give all children involved a big hug for me because losing a loved one, pet or person is the most awful thing I can think of.

losing a loved one whether it's a person or animal is never easy. Telling anyone to Man-up over grieving is such a heartless thing to do. On a side note I can personally say I like my dog more than a lot of the people I know, and would be devastated if she was gone.

No grandmother should treat their grandchild like that no matter the age. It's disgusting.

monster-in-law* she's a complete and utter bitch. Talk to your wife about it

It's always the mother-in-law doing this kind of stuff. At least on FML

becausesome motherin laws are just real bitches.

One you deserved it that's a first wow. What a mean lady Then oops I accidentally hit you deserved it. Fml

Wow. She did three things wrong. First she slapped a 5 year old child who just lost his family dog. Second she told him to "man up". Third she refused to believe she did any thing wrong. If I were you I would get him away from her and make sure she knows why.

countryb_cth 38

I agree with you, OP should not let his son near the MIL until she realizes what she did was wrong and apologies. I know keeping kids away from their grandparents is normally not a good idea but in this situation its for the safety and well being of the child. Honestly what kind of cold hearted bitch hits and tells a 5year old to man up?

So you slapped her in the back of the head right after?

CliffyB03 28

Next time she cries, slap her and say, "woman up!" If she doesn't like it, oh well, now she knows

miyaviichan 27

Slap her in the head, since she's perfectly fine with it.

codytallica 38

That's one of the most ****** up things I've ever heard.