U-turn

By jaimie - 19/03/2011 16:00 - United States

Today, we were going to Disney World all the way from North Carolina. After 12 hours of driving, my kids started fighting and complaining. My husband finally said, "If I hear you guys one more time we're turning around and going back home." They annoyed him once again, and we actually went home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 864
You deserved it 8 638

Same thing different taste

Top comments

milou_fml 6

that's some pretty badass parenting right there

he'll yeah, that's the kind of parenting I wanna see, no sucking up to kids, those kids will remember that for the rest of their life

Comments

Hide_Yo_Kids 0

how is he an asshole? that's some good parenting..

TayonaC 10

well it shows the kids when I say something I mean it but still he should have talked to his wife aboutbl it first because 12 hours is a long drive

the only thing he did wrong was he didn't beat them

MoroseMoose 47

You mean "What a good parent!"

penflower 0

he told them what would happen if they didn't behave and he didn't back down. they know he means buisness. it's a good lesson for them. back him up instead of complaining here.

avatar0810 15

it might be a good lesson but the husband is being an asshole and definitely not going about it the right way. imagine all the money they lost too. if my dad had done this I would have yelled and screamed the whole way back and I probably would never forgive him for it and I'd say it to his face too.

AwesomessMaximus 4

@59 I highly doubt that would have made things any better.

awardZu 0

59, OP's husband did the right thing. Parents are being pushovers with their children far too much lately. You saying that you would throw a tantrum makes you no better than the kids. OP, quit complaining. You're just pissed because your husband is a better parent than you.

No, I'd say the OP is pissed because about 20 hours of her life were just wasted in a car. It probably doesn't help that they probably also just wasted gas money, hotel fees, tickets for the park (generally purchased in advance), and lord knows what else. That's a lot of money to be out on just because the kids started bickering near the end of a really long drive. After having been trapped in a car with four or five other people for several hours most people get cranky, adults and kids alike. It also doesn't say what the kids actually did to annoy the husband again so he could have been over-reacting.

And that's when your dad would probably start smacking you around...

perhaps if the children annoy him once more he would give a word they drive back...

FYL OP. Yeah, your husband sticking by his word is good parenting, but 12 hours wasted just because of some bickering towards the end? It's pretty drastic to drive all the way back just for that... unless there's more to this and they fight a lot in the car. Not to mention punishing you in the process when apparently you would rather have kept going to Disney World. : ( Adults need fun, too!

SilenceIsSilver 0

They do have fun. It's called sex.

I'm with IStoleTheCookies on this one, I'd rather go to Disney World.

SilenceIsSilver 0

Aww Cookie that's such a cute picture! That made my day. (:

#17 and #76 - That's really sad. You and/or your partner must not being do it right if you find sex boring. Maybe you should stop reading FML and read a good 'better sex' book.

No my partner is good but it's the same effect as Christmas it's fun but the novelty soon wears off. The endorphin rush doesn't last long enough to be anywhere near as fun as a theme park.

hmna 0

IStolethecookies, you're doing it wrong, then.

" Today me, my wife, and my 2 kids were driving to Disney World. After almost 12 hours, the kids started to fight. Angry, I shouted to them that if they acted up again, I would turn around and go straight back home. They did, And I kept my word. It was only after my anger was down and we were halfway back did I realize that I've wasted hotel fare, DisneyWorld fees, Gas, and clothing. All of it is nonrefundable. FML."

Lufferkinz 0
kingtz 6

Your husband Is awesome. Your kids will never act up with him again.

haha I know right! OP's kids will never forget this and will keep it mind when they go on another trip again... that is if they decide to go again. lol

MoroseMoose 47

They definitely WILL act up for him again. Unfortunately one big gesture isn't enough to "train" them.

That's just bad parenting. Determining punishments based on anger is an awful idea. He shouldn't have said it to begin with and the kids learn nothing. They'll likely bicker all the way home since they have nothing left to lose.

perdix 29

ImFoe, I respectfully disagree. Nothing creates spoiled brats than hollow, meaningless threats of punishment. Now that these whiny, undisciplined ***** see that their dad will go to extremes to carry out what he says, they will hold him in high regard, as a child should hold a parent.

"whiny, undisciplined *****" That seems a bit harsh. After twelve hours in a car almost anyone would be cranky. It is just that most kids aren't mature enough to realize that there are different ways to handle that crankiness. Plus we don't know what the kids actually did to annoy the husband again. The OP doesn't say, we are just informed that they annoyed him. They may not have done anything all that bad but because he was in a bad mood already the husband over reacted. The problem with this scenario, is that the husband said something in anger, and when he kept his word he wound up punishing his wife as well. She didn't do anything wrong so it is completely unfair to her. Add to that he has now likely wasted gas money, hotel payments, tickets for the park, and such. Which is an extremely large amount of money to waste.

dudeitsdanny 9

Really? I'd probably think of my father as a complete moron for wasting at least 720 miles worth of gas. No respect for morons. Morons with balls to discipline kids are still morons. My dad would have probably left us in the hotel room.. Or made our life hell once we got back home.

I agree about the hollow threats, perdix. That's why I said he never should've made the threat to begin with. Once you say something in anger, you're bound to it. As danny pointed out, the kids may think dear old dad is crazy but not in that good way. Chibi made another good point. Dad might've already been as cranky as the kids were. An overnight stay is a good idea when travelling for over eight hours with children.

Your husband should have done this. If the kids pissed him off, he should threaten to drop them off at the side of the road. if they still pissed him off, wait until 10 miles from Disneyland. Then, give the kids a map, give them your cellphone (just so they if get lost, you wouldnt like cops on your ass for child abuse and you can find the kids again), tell them to walk, and kick them out. Then, switch your phone to silent, and go enjoy about an hour of freedom. (or more depending on how fast the kids get there)

NYBellz 0

41 u still must be searching for your parents

Just to be clear, your advice is "abuse them, but make sure you don't have cops on your ass"? Really, #41?

What? I'm not saying to abuse them. I'm saying to teach them a lesson by dropping them off and making them walk while having a cellphone to teach them that cars are a privilege and that you should behave or you may loose the privilege of riding in a car. Also, the silent phone was kinda abusive (I take that back) and why shouldn't the parents have a little fun and a break from their kids while the kids learn a valuable life lesson of to obey your supiriors (if I disobeyed my boss, I would get fired for example).

The problem with your scenario there is; Do you know how easy it would be for one of those kids to get snatched walking 10 miles to the park? It doesn't really say how old the kids were, but everyone has been assuming younger kids and if that's true it would be really easy for someone to grab them and shove them into their own car.

you have a point there, i never really thought of that possibility.

But parents aren't their superiors - they're authorities, to be sure, but not superiors. Equating parents to bosses leaves a lot to be desired; bosses don't love you, don't dream about your future, don't enjoy watching you just spin in circle wondering how they got so lucky, don't spend tons of money on a ridiculously expensive nursery because they just can't contain how excited they are to have this new and fulfilling part of their lives, or constantly think about how miraculous it is that you exist. Making the parent/child relationship a one-way street when the children are young tends to make a rather poor case for why the relationship should be a two-way street when the parent is in diapers.