What we do in the shadows

By suspiciouspeople - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I discovered that sitting in the back of your car from 8 to 9 p.m. talking with a friend in a park area is suspicious enough behavior to have cops called on you, then for backup to arrive. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 937
You deserved it 5 347

Same thing different taste

Top comments

youaresofucked 0

and you've lived in America for how long now? that is normal for cops, if there isn't a problem bring backup and we'll make it a problem

Comments

the back-up part is standard procedure now in a lot of places.

The_Cait 0

You probably live in a small city like I do, where they law enforcement [I suppose thankfully so] has nothing better to do.

ZeroCharisma 0

The same thing happened to me once!

Sammahh 0

Cops are egotistical idiots

cebl 2

You're a ******* idiot, sure there's bad ones, but there's good ones too that save people's lives everyday and put their own lives in danger. So stop bitching and be glad there are people who have taken sworn oaths to protect YOU. ....so ungrateful.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. And then I had to be processed by the police.

SilverXeno 0

I live right behind a school, their maintenance entrance is 2 houses down...I see people parked there every so often...I call the non-emergency number and report suspicious activity...Sorry, I don't care what you're doing...don't do it in my neighborhood...

Dear OP, FYL- I have a serious problem with the behavior of the majority of police officers I routinely witness in my county as well. They speed, run red lights (straight-up ignore them early in the morning), and essentially act like bullies when it comes to questioning their perception or authority regarding constitutional rights of the citizen(such as wanting to search my car when I make that highest-of-offenses-to-society: the illegal u-turn). I say this because twice I've been pulled over coming home late from a friends for no reason beyond going the speed limit and being out late. I don't particularly have a problem with checkpoints for DUI, but to be pulled over because of *not* swerving or showing signs of intoxication? Because of just driving home at a late hour? Even after passing all sobriety tests, they still feel inclined to add their cute little opinion of what you should be doing at what hour. They're only polite and nice until you show *any* sign of not agreeing with their oh-so-helpful tooltips or not respecting their holy-judgment; then they turn into ego-maniacal deity-figures who are displeased with the mortals below them, and their lack of submission. They can go from completely calm, to capable of producing extreme volume and violence at the drop of a dime, when presented with *any* challenge to their authority. *WARNING: Legal rant* Annnnnnnnnd to those who post with the "how are the police to supposed to know" posit... maybe they could use their eyes. And if it's night-time, use their eyes on the car they just shone their painfully-blinding floodlight at... which, might I add like it's namesake promises- floods a place with light. Like cars. Or retinas. And the potentially dangerous situation you keep blathering about- I'm assuming that's what the mandatory backup is *for*- ...maybe they should upgrade their procedures? Instead of walking up to a potentially dangerous situation... say, oh I dunno... just have the person they pulled over get out of the car with our license and registration the second our engine is off with our hands in plain view, while they take those extra 20 seconds to do whatever it is they do in those twenty seconds before they actually initiate the encounter to see us and size us up. Their patrol cars have loudspeakers. They can clearly tell us what they want us to do, at volume. So instead of walking up to a potentially dangerous situation, they could just have the potentially dangerous situation expose itself. And if it doesn't, they're still significantly safer at distance in their patrol car, should run-of-the-mill-crazy-shooter decide to step out guns blazing; as opposed to the run-of-the-mill-just-trying-to-speed- away. Please, tell me where I'm wrong in this how-to-approach-a-potentially-dangerous-situation-*safer* idea. Don't say they're excused from their sh!tty behavior because of the potential risks of wrangling potentially dangerous people. That's what the f*ck they signed *up* for. And don't respond with they 'might be police officers because they want to help protect people'... because one good look at your state's laws regarding the powers granted the police regarding PREVENTION of a crime is... laughable, at best. As I understand it, the police officers who graduate academy, and are put on patrol duty must have SOME knowledge of local/state laws. Like not running red lights, or speeding. Or knowing exactly how much 'protecting' they're legally authorized to do. Just ask anyone who's had a stalker, or filed for a restraining order against someone. After week two at the police academy, I have to presume they're *pretty* aware of exactly how much 'protecting' they're actually going to be allowed to do. They're called *police officers* for a reason. They're here to enforce the letter of the law; not determine the most harmonious or meaningful compromise that can be achieved in the event of a wrongdoing between two or more people. Remember that. Police = to enforce. It they were here to protect us and keep the peace between two or more individuals via moderation of a mutually agreed upon compensation/compromise, they'd be called Peace Officers. But they're not. They're here to learn exactly what you've done- that the morality-legislation that is state law -doesn't permit, and to see that you're brought into custody and made available to the state for prosecution regarding 'due' punishment. To refute this is to refute that America's prison system *isn't* overcrowded because the legal system *hasn't* become a clusterf*ck geared towards punishing every little offense that the state has deemed to be criminal. The police strike me as what a lot of the world must see America as: a jackass telling you to do as they say, not as they do. Maybe if they stopped running red lights, actually *went* the speed limit, annnnnd weren't overtly condescending when they tell us what we should and shouldn't do... more people might actually see them as helpful and benevolent. Alright, I'm done.

JSprad9878 0

You might want to check what you think is a fact before writing that much about it. I don't know about Florida, but this incident happened in Texas, so we'll use the laws of Texas. Texas Transportation Code 546 - subchapter A clearly states that emergency vehicles are exempt from certain transportation laws under certain conditions (that's why their license plates read "exempt"). If an officer wants, he/she can run a red light WITHOUT turning on their lights. Also as a side note, most of the time when they do that that are being dispatched to a call so they begin to run code. Often another officer is in the area of the call and tells others to stop code. Often they are going to a call that isn't serious enough to run full code all the way there but they feel they need to blow a light or stop sign, they have the right to. Another point you brought up was the searching of your vehicle. It's called a consent search. All you have to do is say no and they cant search anything. Also, now that another law has passed, even if you are arrested officers cannot search your vehicle. If they tow your vehicle they take an inventory of it, but unless you give consent they cant even open compartments such as your console, glove box, and even your trunk. They can only search your console or glove box if you give consent to search. Your next interesting point-having officers ask the subject to step out of their vehicle on a traffic stop before making the initial approach. Louisiana uses this technique, and since they have used it, they have more officers injured or killed in traffic stops than Texas (consider the difference in size and population of the two states). The problem with this technique is that when an officer does encounter the occasional "shooter", and they have asked them to step out of the car, the officer puts himself at a disadvantage because he cannot unholster his weapon. Even if he does manage to unholster, he still has to exit the vehicle to make a clean shot. Next, "crime prevention" is merely a tactic. It's a plan or idea. No one can just prevent crime from happening. There must be things set in place first. Simply an officer patrolling is crime prevention. I hate to use the "what if" scenario but what if this person was in fact dealing drugs and someone called in suspicious activity in this park, after-hours? That would just be more drugs and more drug money out on the streets. The officer that was dispatched was "preventing crime" by responding to the call. THAT is crime prevention. Another point you made was that they are called "police officers" and not "peace officers". The Texas Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure refers to "cops" as "law enforcement officers", "police officers", "peace officers", and "public servants"- all of which refer to the same. The next few lines in this will be a poem. A poem written by an inmate that my father arrested. He just so happened to have tremendous respect for police officers. He, unlike you, is one of the few. "He Knows HE knows-whenever a law enforcement officer puts on the uniform to leave home, he may not return. The family knows this too. HE knows-the average citizen does not consciously think of this. They think of him as the "Cop" on the coffee break or the "Cop" with the radar gun. HE knows-the next speeding car, the next disturbance call, the next silent alarm may be his last. So the officer does his best to exercise caution and protect himself. HE knows-if any officer is too obvious in his caution he may be labeled as overly-aggressive or rude. HE knows-a police officer walks a fine line from which he had best not stumble. HE knows the chance he is taking, but is still willing to do it. Willing because he couldn't afford to go to law school or medical school, but he still wants to help people, to do some good with his life the best way he can. HE knows-when a citizen is threatened with danger, he calls the "Cop" off the coffee break or the "Cop" with the radar gun - who suddenly becomes the "protector", as a part of the thin blue line. HE knows-even though the citizen now looks to the officer as a guardian angel - he still does not consciously realize that this officer will die for him if necessary, until it happens; and it does happen - far too often, but HE knows. if an officer survives, it will be said he was "just doing his job". Nothing special according to some, but HE knows. See now, a police officer who was slain in the line of duty, as he reaches the Pearly Gates and talks to Saint Peter the conversation may go like this: "What have you done that you enter the Kingdom of the Lord?" The officer might say, "I tried to make a difference with my life. I served the people and protected them; I answered the call and did my best. Now I have died and left my loved ones but, given the choice, i would not have had it any other way. Now sir, go tell the Lord I am here, for HE knows all about it." -written by Rick Beasley, April 15, 1990" So next time you want to argue and give the cops a hard time, think about how nervous he is compared to you. You can clearly see all of his weapons, but he can't always see yours. Respect officers, because you never know when you will need protection and crime prevention.

@ 85 Thanks to Rick Beasley there's a new light shining on the cops. Cool

Cops can suck my dick. They all suck at life. And America sucks

cebl 2

What the ****, guess you had a bad day

primogen18 0

wow @82, not that I don't agree with the majority of the post, Im just surprised you can make posts that long. longest post ever award. no lie.

Seriously, two years later and literally about fifteen sentences in, and I'm in awe of how lit I must have been that night writing that lovely little piece. And it wasn't moderated or thumbs-d(r)owned! Crazy.