Bad start

By Nathan - 23/03/2009 20:09 - United States

Today, I went to see a therapist for the first time because I've been feeling depressed lately. I opened up and said everything that was on my mind. I really spilled my guts. After a good 30 minutes, her first question was, "Do you always talk this much?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 75 331
You deserved it 7 876

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually I know from expierence that this is not a lie. I went to a therapist for the same reason and she asked me what had been on my mind, I have hard time opening up to people as it is but figured that it was her job to listen (plus I was paying her enough to listen) after telling her everything and tell her how I felt, she looked at me straight in the face and told me I talked too much!

Oh, I thought people went to therapists to talk about their problems. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comments

People like #4 and #24 have a point; while this may have been expressed in a somewhat unprofessional manner, it's likely an important issue. If you've not been able to talk with anyone about your problems and thus spill them all so quickly, then it probably means that you've been storing them up too much. In addition to a therapist it's good to have a friend or two to talk to. Even if they can't give great advice, they can at least give you someone to talk to (which on its own is quite a blessing sometimes -- it may help you feel less alone, if that's a problem you're facing). Of course there are unprofessional people and people with poor interpersonal skills everywhere. This may not be grounds for getting a new therapist on it's own, but if you don't feel like your therapist is interested in you after a couple visits then you may need to find another one.

that's pretty unprofessional... fhl for being such a dick.

no therapist would ever say that. i agree with #1. and if he did, then it's time for him to retire, and if you are truly depressed, then it's also possible that you looked at the question in the worst possible way, although it may not have been asked in that sense.

If this is true (I find it very difficult to believe a therapist would say something so cruel, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt), then she should have her license to practice stripped from her.

Toxic_John 0

this is y i dont believe in therapy if anything jesus should b ur theapist (not to be preaching or anything) becuz y would u trust a person (sure hes gone to university nd stuff) about ur deepest darkest crap that u wont even tel ur parent nd da sad part is the therapists can b lafin in the inside about everything uve gone through so my guess is if u cant even tell ur mom dad or ur closest friend y trust a total stranger who could b lafin @ ur everyday problems

LoveFifteen 0

My therapist said the same thing to me. He asked me to talk about my life and problems, then told me afterwords that I talked too much about myself. It was insulting, to say the least.

TylerTnT_fml 0

I've heard worse things from a therapist. My sister and I had some issues growing up, and a therapist once said to me (I was 16 at the time, with my mom sitting in the room), on our first visit 'So? **** her. Who cares?'

If genuine, I'd seriously question using that therapist ever again.

you can sue your therapist for saying that, or ask for a refund or some shit, personally i would punch her

medahj 0

wow..if she really said that, definitely don't pay her! and check her license....