Bad start

By Nathan - 23/03/2009 20:09 - United States

Today, I went to see a therapist for the first time because I've been feeling depressed lately. I opened up and said everything that was on my mind. I really spilled my guts. After a good 30 minutes, her first question was, "Do you always talk this much?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 75 331
You deserved it 7 876

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually I know from expierence that this is not a lie. I went to a therapist for the same reason and she asked me what had been on my mind, I have hard time opening up to people as it is but figured that it was her job to listen (plus I was paying her enough to listen) after telling her everything and tell her how I felt, she looked at me straight in the face and told me I talked too much!

Oh, I thought people went to therapists to talk about their problems. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comments

bigcrazymike 6

he could have been asking because usually depressed people don't talk that much and he thought there was something in your affect contradicting the depression. maybe he was thinking you were bipolar? a symptom of mania is pressured speech and talking a lot, so maybe he thought you were having a mixed state or something. I doubt he meant it in an offensive way. if not, well. therapists are people, too. they make dumb mistakes. it sucks that there are bad therapists that ruin the experience for everyone. if this therapist isn't right for you, try a new one. some therapists just aren't good fits for people. the right one is out there. :) keep looking.

shamniz 0

That's sick but dont worry so make your money worth by torturing the therapist a lot :p

EggyMayers 0

My therapist always says stuff like that. :P But he's only joking around with me I think. He's awesome.

There is so many ways you could take that. If you think your therapist is going to be an angel and never say anything that you dislike then you will most likely be very dis-appointed.

fam_surprise 0

ok #29... i'm a psych major because i love the subject... its the one subject that i really enjoy and want to learn more about so i decided to major in it. that doesnt mean that i'm stupid. i go to one of the best colleges in the country.

I work in the counseling field and find it hard to believe a therapist would say that. However I guess there are some insensitive ones out there. It is really super important to find one you feel comfortable with. If you do they can help so much it is really awesome.

I find it believeable, although I think it depends on context, tone, etc. Remember everyone, the principal of therapy is to talk about your problems. So maybe the therapist was surprised that you were so open about your problems (maybe s/he sees low level disclosure people?) Anyways, if you feel uncomfortable switch therapists! Therapy effectiveness does rely on the compatibilty between patient/therapist, so go for it!

@ 29 I have no idea what psychology degrees you hear about. Psychology is one of the more difficult subjects in my opinion, speaking from personal experience.