Bad start

By Nathan - 23/03/2009 20:09 - United States

Today, I went to see a therapist for the first time because I've been feeling depressed lately. I opened up and said everything that was on my mind. I really spilled my guts. After a good 30 minutes, her first question was, "Do you always talk this much?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 75 331
You deserved it 7 876

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually I know from expierence that this is not a lie. I went to a therapist for the same reason and she asked me what had been on my mind, I have hard time opening up to people as it is but figured that it was her job to listen (plus I was paying her enough to listen) after telling her everything and tell her how I felt, she looked at me straight in the face and told me I talked too much!

Oh, I thought people went to therapists to talk about their problems. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comments

I've been seeing therapists since elementary school (I'm presently in college) and I've had a few. Some longer than others. I think it's pretty clear that this therapist isn't for you and that they're only going to make you feel worse. There's no harm in trying another therapist-- keep searching until you find the right one! Good luck! (It may take some time)

I think that she probably should have thought that out better, that would have probably made me withdraw very much.

calmthefuck_down 0
anarcho 0

If this is true, it isn't entirely surprising. As a psychologist in training, I've noticed that it doesn't take people skills to be a therapist, unfortunately. As long as you can handle the work load and the classes, you can squeak by unnoticed. This inevitably leads to unskilled therapists who are careless with their words and are unable to filter their thoughts which end up hurting the therapeutic alliance. On the other hand, the context is important. There are several reasons why a therapist might want to inquire about your speech patterns or interpersonal style. It is difficult to get that with just this little blurb. Either way, you have to remember that psychology is a human field, that lacks clear practices and standards. As such, there is a high probability that you will have at least one bad experience in the field. Just try not to judge the field as a whole, as there are quite a few great therapists out there.

If that had happened to me i would have just walked out and refused to pay. Saying something like that is unacceptable. I understand that she might have been wondering if you talk a lot to try and get more of understanding of your emotional state, but she should have at least said that before asking that question. bitch

Sound_Understood 0

Since no one has brought it up yet, I wanted to mention that some therapists intentionally antagonize people to try to get them to "snap out of it." Like cognitive behavioral therapy has a pretty standard thing about telling patients that their issues are bullshit, it goes along with the whole Secret/Zen/Oprah thing about how only you can control how you feel. Of course there are some who use this style disregarding whether the person can actually handle it, like with #31, the therapist should probably not have been that aggressive with a suicidal kid.

kellster 2

That's ridiculous! Unless she meant it in a way that meant to ask if you normally open up like that or if you're used to keeping everything in, or something that could have been going somewhere helpful. Otherwise... yeah. Not good! I'm sorry.

Anonymus101 4

dude, find a new Therapist you're seeking help, not to be judged.

starbaby 0

Agree with 40 I had a therapist when I was a teenager and he would push me and push me till I flipped out. Sadly it worked for me but not right for everyone

Well, atleast you could open up, that's a good thing. If that's word by word what she said, then get another therapist.