Dumb it down

By alejandro38 - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I had an interview. I didn't get the job because apparently customers might not understand me, since I "talk too good." I just graduated with an English degree. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 901
You deserved it 3 584

Top comments

ArtIsResistance7 1

Maybe you offended the interviewer with your fancy jargon and flashy degree. Reach for new goals! Although, with an English degree, there isn't much hope.

zeebug 0

Actually, an English degree is very versatile. It can be used in almost all lines of work. It basically teaches you how to think well. You learn critical thinking skills, analytical skills, communication skills, and the ability to read and write well. All of the above are an important foundation for any career. The rest is just training, which most jobs do anyways.

Comments

tb15 0

To me, it seems like the person who gave the interview thought you appeared snobbish and unsociable and tried to put it nicely

Or the interviewer was just intimidated, and he reflexively assumed OP is pretentious. I had a large vocabulary for most of my childhood in WV. Trust me when I say that you can dumb your vocabulary down considerably and still unintentionally confuse people. If that confused person is insecure about his own intellegence, he'll probably assume you're embarrassing him intentionally and lash out in defense. I can't tell you how often I got mocked as a kid/teen for "actin' all smart," even when I used the simplest terms I could to avoid that very accusation. :-/ I can understand not knowing a word or its proper usage. There are lots of words that I certainly don't know, and it's nothing shameful. I just look it up when I see or hear it used. But I can't understand both willfully choosing ignorance, and deriding everyone who does not. That IS shameful.

Same here. As soon as we were out of nappies (probably before), my mum would use her considerable vocabulary freely around us and never dumb it down. Often, if we wanted to know what a word was, she told us to work it out from the context. She still corrects me to this day, though if I ever talk anywhere near my normal level around my friends, they look nonplussed and ask what I mean by certain words. I'm not saying I'm smarter than these people (in some cases I am definitely not), but I certainly have had a lot of experience in dumbing my vocabulary down in order for those around me to understand it. All of which doesn't help when your teacher singles you out in class, and asks you to explain a word to the rest of the class. That makes you popular. Not. As TIJD said, many people can be defensive if they assume you're trying to act better than them.

sallen0046 4

It's your own fault. How can you have an English degree and not understand using the appropriate vocabulary for your audience? It's one thing to try and look intelligent for your interviewer, it's another thing entirely to completely ignore the demographic you would be working with and overplay your part. In this day and age everyone is expected to have a degree, you don't need to be arrogant about the fact that you have one. Research the employer and the type of customer they cater to a little more closely next time.

I agree with you that the presentation should have been tailored to the audience, but there's nothing arrogant in trying to promote yourself in an interview. There are still a lot of people who don't have degrees, and pointing out what you have to offer that others may not is an acceptable way to get a job, and not arrogant.

Then apply for a job that you're not under-qualified for...

tubeofKY 0

YDI for getted a edumakashen!!

ydi for applying to Burger King. Look for a real job with your degree!

uhm, I was raised with an extensive vocabulary and it's not a bad thing... you make it seem like you blame her for speaking good :3

You statement was fail, and it was so ironically fail, I actually laughed. Grammar is key in life.

RedPillSucks 31

She said extensive vocabulary, which doesn't necessarily mean correct grammar. This FML is turning into a haven for Grammar Nazis. :-)

Why are you assuming she didn't use the incorrect grammar on purpose? Um, I think it was pretty obvious she was kidding since she followed the bad grammar up with a quirky smilie face. Apparently, your grammar nazi skills haven't made your communication skills good enough to get an online joke that should have been obvious. Fail on you, not her.

iondadola 0

was you tryin to get a goverment job

That was the biggest win I've seen all day.

codymaxey033 0

That just goes to show how illiterate the world has become..