One day this will all be yours

By diapermommy - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my 5-year-old daughter saw a pad commercial. She asked me what they were, but I didn't think she was old enough to hear it. I just told her that they're like diapers for mommies. Now she won't stop telling people that mommy wears diapers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 157
You deserved it 47 177

Top comments

That is why you don't dumb things down for kids, it will always come back to bite you in the butt. You should have told her it was a grown up woman thing she will learn about later.

loveurlifeJK 5

That's why you cut the bullshit when it comes to kids. Just tell them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Comments

iSmellNice 2

I don't understand why people advertise products like that on kids' channels

because they assume the kids parents are probably watching with them...

iSmellNice 2

#76, Maybe they're assuming that it's the daughter's mom because it says (woman) and her name is diapermommy

Brooklynxman 0

u shoulda just said "they r like diapers". not the mommies part

Just in case nobody knows: Menstrual cups. You can wear them for 12 hours without risk of TSS because they don't absorb anything, and they're way more comfortable than pads or tampons.

LemonFairy 0

Personal experience? (I've actually been wondering about these, so serious question here if you see it.)

Moonpaper 0

My mom's policy has always been "If they're old enough to ask, they're old enough to know." YDI for not telling your daughter the straight truth.

wut is she suppose to tell her? i hav periods thats why i wear pads? i mean come on

Moonpaper 0

Exactly. Explain to the kid what menstruation is and be done with it.

lol i dont think a 5 year old wuld understand thu

Moonpaper 0

Put it in terms that a kid can understand (but don't dumb it down). I learned when I was five. My sister learned when she was six. We both understood perfectly.

idk bout u but most babies wont understand

5 years old can understand. My mother even gave books about it to both my brother and I (we're twins), we're perfectly fine and we did understand what periods are and that they are necessary if you want to have a baby later. You can't always do as if kids were too young to understand. You just don't remember how it was when you were younger but kids are not sweet innocent things.

that's why you just tell kids the truth. saves a little embarrassment

I call them that even though I know what they are =D It's better than yelling menstrual pads across two aisles in CVS.

the_stereotype 0

she didn't lie. she said they're LIKE grown-up diapers. which, in a sense...they have the same function, except one is meant to absorb pee and the other is meant to absorb menstrual fluid. now, if she had said that they WERE diapers, then she'd be lying.