By Anonymous - 06/01/2015 18:54 - United Kingdom

Today, desperate for work, I went into a shop and asked the owner if he had any spare jobs to fill. He looked me up and down and sneered "Yes, but not for people like... you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 780
You deserved it 3 036

Same thing different taste

Top comments

cadillacgal79 32

Some people are just shallow, don't worry OP, you'll find a job soon enough.

Some people are too quick to judge by appearance. Sorry OP!

Comments

cadillacgal79 32

Some people are just shallow, don't worry OP, you'll find a job soon enough.

Some people are too quick to judge by appearance. Sorry OP!

I feel like this needs a follow up, why would he say that about you?

Agreed. My father was a buisness owner and quite honestly appearance Is taken into account when hiring an individual. If someone is all tatted up, has many piercings, and/or has an unkept appearance, then an employer won't want to hire that person. I'm not saying those people don't deserve a job, I'm just saying that many employers prefer people who arent of that appearance. Maybe Op fits one of those descriptions. Maybe the guy who turned Op down is an asshat. Who knows. A follow up would be nice for this situation.

Either way, the employer could have been nicer with the rejection.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a tat issue, a gender issue, a sexuality issue, or a race issue. It could be anything without more info.

DavidKnows 11

No. The employer was sending him a message. This was a life lesson. Learn from it

@28 what life lesson was the employer sending?

OP could have walked into the shop in messy clothes or looked too casual and unkempt. If you dress well and hand out your CV you get a better chance. OP, if you can't find a job, have a look at apprenticeships. You get a bit less money sometimes but you will get qualifications and experience.

26, simply curious but how can you tell someone's sexuality just on first impression?

@47, You can't. You can't really tell a person's gender that quickly either. They're all assumptions, it sucks when people think they can tell enough from appearance or through limited contact. Although this is only an assumption as well, upon reading it I immediately though it had something to do with OP's dress or if they have tattoos/piercings/body mods.

The important thing is that you are trying. Don't give up. Dress and groom yourself better because it is true that appearance matters when you are looking for a job. Good luck!

Some people are just pompous stuck up asshole's. It seems like even if he would hire you, you wouldn't want to work for him anyways. Good luck on the job hunt!!

And that is why attractive people have an advantage in life.

Who says this is about attractiveness? It's probably to do with having a professional appearance. That or it's discrimination based on race, etc.

If you have obscene piercings or tattoos, an employer may not want to hire you. They may deter customers if it was a retail job or one where customers see you.

That's so shallow. I personally wouldn't want a boss like that. You dodged a bullet OP!