By annabellebyebye - 16/08/2009 15:18 - United States

Today, I bought a kitten. I've wanted a cat for years and decided to finally buy one now that I have my own apartment. It turns out I'm allergic to cats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 890
You deserved it 10 080

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wouldn't you be aware of that allergy BEFORE you got the cat? You've never had allergy tests done, or gotten a stuffy nose when you were around your friends' cats? I suggest shots if you want to keep it. Either that, or zyrtec. Zyrtec (allergy medication) is WONDERFUL. I'm (supposedly) allergic, and I don't react to my cat at all.

Shock98 0

so get some allergy medicine.

Comments

Poor kitty, YDI for not researching your chosen pet better. Most idiots would at least sit with a cat for a while before buying one.

It's okay! I'm allergic to cats also, but I have three anyway. (: Depending on how severe your allergy is just work around it. Give your new kitty love, but don't shove your face in it all the time. Keep a safe distance and clean often. You can do it!

welll usually,when your allergic,if its not deadly,youll get used to it and no longer be allergic. Worked for me. I also want a cat :l

That's true. I had a cat my whole life and I got used to her after a while. Then, last year just before I turned 14, she died at 19. :'( Now I have a new kitty, but I'm back at square 1 allergy-wise.

so you've never encountered a cat before in your life? how could you not know u are allergic? YDI

sayheyyybabe 0

@OP: That's funny, I used to have a cat named Annabelle. @123: Anyways it IS possible to develop an allergy to cats. I used to have 3 cats (Annabelle was ironically one of them) and my mom would spend time around them and not get any symptoms. 3 years later we get 2 cats and she ends up being allergic to them and chugging Claritin and Benadryl. She also can't touch them a lot (itchy, puffy, red eyes). So yeah. I know from experience it's possible.

sayheyyybabe 0

Oh, and by the way, cats kick dogs asses. Dogs might be bigger, but they're less intelligent. However, I have nothing against dogs and have owned both cats AND dogs. Unfortunately catdogs have not been physically invented yet...boohoo :( but when they are I'll be sure to get one :D

Oh don't worry! I have a cat and I was allergic to her but after about 2 months it completly went away. I know it's pretty anoying to start off with but dont worry!

it doesn't matter ... I'm allergic to most animals (I think it's there fur) and after living with them for 2-3 months I don't get allergy symptoms. so unless it gets really bad don't take an allergy pill and your body will adapt :))

aww that sucks maybe a hypoallergenic puppy? :)

AlexHD 4

It depends on how allergic you are, if the allergy is not that bad you can get pills for it and that could help. If your allergy is severe then FYL.