By Anonymous - 26/04/2011 02:37 - United Kingdom

Today, I got a letter back from the family I will be staying with as a part of an exchange program. Apparently they own a slaughterhouse type farm, and I'm expected to kill one of their animals and eat it as a gift from the family. I'm a vegan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 272
You deserved it 19 428

Same thing different taste

Top comments

what kind of animal? and do you have to eat the whole thing? these are important questions.

KristinaKreme 0

Woah! At least they didn't threaten to kill you in the slaughter house! For a second I thought that's where the FML was going!

Comments

beastin34 0

well tell them u hate meat simple as that

JustOhSoLovely 6

it's rude to refuse a gift. they might feel insulted

Tell them that you're vegan. If they can't deal, then don't stay with them. Find a better match. Thinking is really pretty easy if you practice.

Jrefinne 7

Maybe it's not that easy for OP to choose another family?

TrueStory22 0

You're right, thinking is easy. Maybe you should try it. You don't know OP's situation well enough to make that conclusion.

melibear89 7

74- neither do you. none of us know the exact situation that OP is in. hell for all we know this FML could be made up.

you can't go into someone else's house, especially in another country, and disrespect their traditions. Sack up and eat meat like a normal person

yeah, vegans eat the food my food needs!

I somewhat agree. being on such a complex diet you really need to think twice about imposing your nutritional needs on others. as an example we once had a vegan girl stay with us, my mom almost bought soy milk (big no no since cowhide is generally used as filtering) and ricemilk cheese (had casin) so even a well meaning family could certainly mess up when buying groceries.

um, who told you soya milk is filtered through cowhide? i have 1. never heard that said 2.just googled it and cant find it written anywhere. and 3. seen the words 'suitable for vegans' printed on every carton of soya milk produced in the uk, which wouldn't be there if that were true. also, wtf is casin (a similar googling came up with casinos) i dont think that girl was vegan so much as a compulsive liar :P

Fohz 9
BitchingNuzeh 0

Maybe this is life's way of telling you that vegan is not the way for you.

UnicornHooker 0

That sucks, OP. As a vegetarian, I feel your pain. If it's unavoidable, try and insist upon white meat rather than red.

dudeitsdanny 9

Exactly. Chickens aren't animals. This is why I dislike some vegetarians: If you give up meat for the mistreatment of animals, whats the difference between one and the other? Ridiculous.

UnicornHooker 0

Don't make assumptions. It just so happens that typically, white meat is easier on the stomach than red for those who have not consumed meat over an extended period of time.

As a vegetarian, you just don't eat it. It's not like they'll shove it down your throat. It will make OP's stay there pretty uncomfortable though.

UnicornHooker 0

I do agree that OP should just tell them that they're vegan and refuse the meat, but I don't know what kind of situation they're in, so I guess I can't say. If it was me, I'd politely refuse. A while ago, due to anaemia, my doctor tried to get me to eat meat (I didn't; I took supplements instead.) and he recommended I start with white meat, which is why I made the suggestion. Also, vegan cheesecake is disgusting.

dudeitsdanny 9

Here's the thing: If it's for beliefs based on the treatment of animals, not diet, it doesn't matter: Eating a chicken strip is as bad as eating a steak. If it's dietary, then you're right. But that's why I specified OP's seems to be a matter of beliefs based on the fact that they included that they must kill the animal themselves.

ReynshineCutting 10

It's a known fact though that it is physically more difficult to digest red meat than white. It's not just a vegetarian belief thing here. If you haven't eaten red meat in a really long time, and you throw an 8oz steak at your colon, it's not going to be pleasant. However if you haven't eaten meat in a really long time and you eat chicken, physically, your body won't react as badly. I think she was suggesting OP try to eat white meat instead of red because it's easier to digest if OP were to go through with it. Not because of any vegetarian beliefs.

This is the time where you decide that it's better to go back against your beliefs and kill then eat the animal, or to... HOW ABOUT THIS: ******* just don't go on the program! Jesus Christ, if you don't wanna eat the animal, then don't do it. Nobody is ******* forcing you. How about instead of going on the internet, you just think about your problem like a normal person?! This comment brought to you by Mrahhhhh's frustration stemming from a particularly hard Grand Theft Auto 4 mission he's playing right now. Have a nice day and I love you all :) . But seriously though, you don't have to live with them :) .

UnicornHooker 0

I agree with all of those points and must inform you, I am also playing GTA 4.