By ThisGirl - 21/08/2012 02:30 - United States - Kennesaw

Today, I lost two terabytes' worth of photos to a friend's incompetence. He said he could save me some money and fix my slow computer for free. He ended up wiping the hard drive, and along with it, my photography portfolio from the last five years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 298
You deserved it 16 468

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is why you have an external hard drive to save these important things onto when you are letting someone unqualified (I'm guessing) mess with your stuff.

theslimshadylp 6

Holy shit five years? I would give your friend the wrath of God if I were you.

Comments

Sicilysstallion 2

It's not your friends fault you didn't back up your ENTIRE PORTFOLIO. Important data should be saved a minimum of 3 places if you don't want to lose it. LEARN YOUR LESSON. BACK UP YOUR SHIT.

skyeyez9 24

Start uploading to shutterfly. When you register with them you get the first 30 picture printouts free. Print favorites out and keep rest in online photo album.

biglittlehead 12

How the hell do you have two terabytes worth of pictures? A big file for a pic is maybe 100 kb.

countrygirl626 16

1) No, some pictures can be over 1 or 2MB. 2) OP said it was a photography portfolio for the past 5 YEARS.

Why didn't you have it backed up some place else?

caitiebug1119 15

In his defense, two terrabytes is a TON of memory and using up too much memory makes your computer slow. That's why you should've followed the example of every photographer from before computers were widely used and keep your portfolio in a book. And you also should've asked him what he was going to do and tell him "My portfolio is on there and it's not backed up, don't mess with that". To him, all he saw was the computer screen saying "You are using a lot of memory and this can slow down your computer". He probably assumed, after five years, you've had the sense to back up your files. If you can somehow recover your pictures, print them out and put them in a binder, or at least back them up on several flash drives or CDs.

your data is still on the hard drive(s) and can be recovered, but continual use of the pc may over write them so you need to act immediately. stop using the pc immediately and purchase an external hard drive. download photorec (from another computer!) and burn it to a DVD. photorec runs from the CD and will write to your external. it should pull your data, although you might not get back everything and going through 2+gb of photos will be fun. gl

All photographers know to back things onto DVDs and externals for this exact reason. Sorry for your loss, though. No picture can ever be duplicated.