By Anonymous - 10/07/2009 04:08 - United States

Today, I turned 23. I had asked my mom for some things to decorate my new place. As I opened the box to reveal my gift, a mirror was inside. I liked the mirror. I did not like the note attached that said "Look inside the mirror to see who is now 100% financially responsible for themselves." FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 460
You deserved it 19 613

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're 23, you should be financially responsible for yourself. YDI.

Give it back to her when she needs a loan.

Comments

funny ass shit! well you are 23 get over it.

GregAvery 0

There is a different way to look at this. it is a challenge, a truth and a powerful life lesson all rolled into one. 23 is not too young to be responsible for one's financial wellness. At 23 my mother had 3 children already. Today at 47 I look back in awe of what my parents accomplished raising us. Do take a good long look in that mirror, take a deep breath and then, step up - this is not a dress rehearsal and you will get out of this life what you put into it. Years from now this mirror will be among your most treasured of gifts if you're wise enough to seize the opportunity and accept the challenge. Leave petty "waaah I didn't get what I wanted" behind you now. It's time!!

cucuto89 0

your 23 effing years old you should be financially responsible for yourself

lastminuteperm 0
netbeui435 3

time to grow up. she is doing you a favor, but you will probably find some guy to sponge from.

In this day it is hard to be financially responsible for yourself at 18. I was in college. I paid for most of my tuition, but my parents helped me out as well. I didn't become fully independent until I was 21, found a full-time job, and moved to another state. I do think that at age 18 you should at least be well on your way to becoming financially independent by going to school, or at the very least, paying your parents rent if you choose to live at home. However, the OP's mom was unreasonable for the fact that it was supposed to be a birthday gift. I think the OP is showing plenty of responsibility by asking for a gift for his home rather than something like a video game.

girlygirl666 0

Wow. Well, Happy Birthday. Tell your Mom to look into a mirror on her next birthday, to see the bitch who is 100% responsible to provide HER own birthday present.

Glam_fml 0

All you people who are saying you should be financially responsible for yourself are a bunch of idiots. I turned 18 a few months into my senior year of high school. I guess I should have quit going to school, moved out, and got a full time job the day I turned 18. Hell, I am still living at home and I see no problem with it. I go to college and I commute to save money. There is no possible way I could earn enough money (if I could even find a job where I live in this economy) to pay for school and live on my own. So OP, that really sucks. I know some members of my extended family STILL have to borrow money off their parents sometimes...

Stop crying, at 23 AND moving out your parents should not be supporting you or you are a failure.