By Anonymous - 30/06/2009 02:23 - United States

Today, I was at work lifeguarding and saw a kid drowning on the far end of the pool. I decided running would be the quickest way to get to her, but as I ran across the pool deck I slipped and hit my head. The kid's mother jumped in to save her child and then called an ambulance for me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 052
You deserved it 13 973

Same thing different taste

Top comments

whatmarielsaid 0

LOL isn't there a rule there saying, "no running around the pool area"? or something along those lines. jeez.

lol least you tried, that's all matters.

Comments

wait, are you serious? this is obviously an FML because the lifeguard failed at his job so miserably that he had to have an ambulance called for him. would you not be embarrassed if the same happened to you?

I thought the same as 53, that the way the last part was worded was included to make us think that the FML was because the mom saved her kid first. If the FML was about how he had to be saved as a lifeguard, I would think it would be worded that way.

ChocolatexGames 0

isnt that why they say "no running?" hmm? but. you tried. im going to work at our local pool next year, and it is a hard job.

zee209 0

You're a good person for trying though.

goalie16 0

I'm a lifeguard instructor and something similar happened to me. I totally agree with your decision to run instead of swim, from what I can tell. You shouldn't be fired just more careful the next time. And pool rules aren't valid during an emergency. If you were the lifeguard and under 18 and they called rest period during the middle of a rescue would you have to get out? No, and personally that you actually saw the victim before they were passive is a job well done. A lot of lifeguards that I work with wait until the last possible second.

Not a lifeguard, but i gotta say: Training or no training, running on a slick surface will never be a good idea in my book. Yeah, the kid was drowning, but if you hurt yourself first -like described- then all you have is 2 victims and a pool left unguarded.

misterman2 3

NO RUNNING BY THE POOL. :p yeah, that sucks.

Isn't there like a HUGE sign at pools that practically screams "no running"? Gee, I wonder why.

I think people should take the training as a lifeguard before the make a judgment on fault. Lifeguards are trained professionals afterall, and not some hired monkeys wearing a tube.