By blah - 01/02/2010 06:43 - France

Today, it's officially been two weeks since I found out I have mono. It's also been two weeks since anyone has visited me, called me, or even emailed me. The real kicker? I'm now fired from my job because they can't believe I can have mono twice in one year. I guess I'm just lucky that way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 251
You deserved it 3 734

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I had mono and it's horrible. People shouldn't act like that. You don't even do anything and you get it. And you can only get it once in most cases. Fyl indeed for having people in your life who don't understand. And first, who cares If your first? And then you add ew? You're lucky you've never had it.

Comments

you cant get it twice BUT you can have it and just not properly get rid of it but feel fine, then, if you get really run down, it can come back

b1a2n3a4n5a6s 0

Doctor's notes don't solve everything, especially if you're in an 'at will employment' state and your boss is a douchebag. Speaking from personal experience here. I had a grapefruit sized cyst that was pressing against a bundle of nerves in my spine, causing huge amounts of pain and inability to walk/drive safely because the pressure was making me have leg spasms. Gave my boss two doctor's notes and explained that I could work light duty till the surgery and that I'd be back to working at full capability just a week after surgery, and that I'd found people willing to cover my shifts while I was out, and he still fired me on the spot. Nothing I could do because Missouri is an 'at will employment' state, meaning they can fire you and not have to give an official reason. Unless the OP's boss wrote it out that he was firing OP for the illness, there's not much OP can do. FYL OP, your boss is a dick.

Darrian 2

Mono sucks, but it doesn't suck so badly that you should have stayed home from work.

dude247 0

you get mono when someone elses saliva enters your mouth. hence the nickname, the kissing disease. you can alo get it by sharing food.

_sourpatchkid 0

man, i wish ppl who make up FMLs would at least be knowledgeable about labour laws. they can't and wouldn't fire you or something so trivial. Presumably you have a doctor's note which would prove that you have mono.

That's not true globally. Consider yourself fortunate. In some US states, employers don't need any excuse at all to fire an employee. The only protections are equal opportunity related, like gender and race.

Infectious mononucleosis/glandular fever is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus which is one of the Human Herpesviruses. It infects the B cells of your immune system and can cause cancer. 

"man, i wish ppl who make up FMLs would at least be knowledgeable about labour laws. they can't and wouldn't fire you or something so trivial." -#89 I'm glad that wherever you live, employers can't fire employees for being sick. However, in many states in the US, employers can fire employees for absolutely no reason (other than those protected by law, i.e. race, religion, etc), and employees can quit at any time, without giving reason or notice. Employees sign a paper acknowledging this fact when they accept a new job. So, if your employer doesn't like the way you dress, the way you talk, who you date, etc, they can fire you, and you have no recourse of action. Also, as many have pointed out, mono can reoccur, and it can be very mild to very severe. I was sick with it for over a month, could hardly breathe and couldn't swallow my own saliva due to extreme swelling in my throat. My fever was nearly 105 degrees at one point, and I got a terrible eye infection as well due to my compromised immune system. My sister got it, missed a couple days of school, and was back to normal. Please don't be so quick to cry "fake" when you don't know what you're talking about...

#92 The thing about people commenting (youtube, fml[french version too],etc...) is that they seems to know everything. But actually they don't (ya srsly) . For the following, I'll suppose you're an american because otherwise you're stupid. I don't have a clue of what mono can really do but I can tell you that if I was OP employer and working in a company under US law, I wouldnt hesitate a moment about firing you cause too many illness reduces productivity and costs money (ya srsly). Too bad you don't live in Europe though, you would have earn a consequent amount of money with that, but that's US working law, which has it's props ( when you're the boss mostly) and it's default, including that you can be fired anytime. That's bad luck and fyl for that but please allmighty and wise fml comment posters don't blame anyone for doing their job and please don't claim fake specially when google can prove you wrong in 14 seconds

_sourpatchkid 0

i never said that you can't get mono twice, i posted the opposite above (that it is in your system forever, but that it can reoccur if your immune system is compromised). I stand corrected on the labour issue. Pretty shitty country you live in. What exactly do you celebrate on labour day? The fact that you still get sodomized by your employers, despite unionization and advanced labour rights? wow.

swantonboy96 0

Holy crap the you totally deserve it button has 666 votes, wierd, gonna b 667!

I thought you could only get mono once?

I got mono when I was a teenager. I had it flare up on me twice more the same year I got it. Ironically enough, I had a lot of stress as a teenager and I wasn't exactly fit as a fiddle either. It's a virus that (much like a cold sore, a lot like it actually as cold sores are herpes, much like the Epstien Barr Virus that causes mono) can flare up over a person's life. Hell the first time I got it, it developed into anemia. I almost died (metaphorically) when I found out I had it again a few months later, but the doctor explained it to me. Now I just make sure I'm healthy as I can be. But it sucks to be you that your employer axed you for it, despite being out of your control. You should look into your local labor organization about a possible wrongful dismissal on ground of medical condition.