By notawizard - 16/07/2009 10:16 - Spain

Today, my daughter turned 11. Since she LOVES Harry Potter, I decided to write her an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. When she saw the letter, she screamed and showed me. When she found out I wrote it, she told me she hated me, started crying, and stepped on my foot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 346
You deserved it 95 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pedegg 0

Okay, everyone seems to be forgetting that eleven year olds ARE idiots. Even if they know the book is fiction, they still WANT it to be real- and if the outside world gives them a glimpse of hope that maybe it's more than fiction, they WILL believe it because they WANT it to be real. I waited for my Hogwarts letter when I was turning eleven. I didn't really think I'd get one, and when I didn't I wasn't crushed, but if I HAD gotten one I'd probably have shit myself. This mother obviously has never been obsessed with something like 11 year olds can be with this book series. That, or she's just a bitch. She should have known better than to have made the poor kid think she was going off to live in a magical world and then taken it away. That's horrible. Just take her to see the damn movie.

mynameisnotjudie 0

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?! Ugg I can't even begin to tell you how terrible that is. The poor little girl! An eleven year old really has no way of knowing that was fake because the excitement blinds them ;- )

Comments

haha my dad did that to me when i was little,i was so mad when i found out it was fake. and for all the people who are caling a little girl an idiot or a moron, **** off. you guys are heartless bastards if you really are caliing an 11 year girl a ******* fag or moron.

I wish my parents did something cute like that for my 11th birthday, I'd have loved it even if it isn't real, it's nice to dream when you're that young.

That's probably the sweetest thing a parent can do, but I can see why she would be upset. At 11 you can still believe in magic, hell at my 17 I still believe in magic, she's still a child, and so the disappointment is still bad. Sorry to hear, hopefully she'll get over it soon, and it won't end up one of those traumatizing stories told to a psychiatrist in years to come. :]]

t_straw 0

You deserve that one. She honestly thought it was real and you got her hopes up. That's horrible. I would've done the same thing, then spit in you face. That's worse than telling her Santa Clause isn't real.

11 isn't that old. Now I'm 20, but at 11 years old, I wanted a Hogwarts letter so badly. I think deep down I knew it wasn't coming, but I believed anyways. My friends, sisters, and I would play Harry Potter whenever we could. We had potions class in the backyard. We took the stamens out of flowers and pretended they were unicorn hairs, and had jars on shelves of other various ingredients. I would have screamed too if I got a letter from Hogwarts. At the time, had my mom done that, I would have been pissed. But looking back on it would be very nice. I don't believe in the magic of course now, but I do play for my college Quiddich team! :D

LemonFairy 0

Where do you go to college? (Quidditch team was actually a deciding factor in the top college I want to apply to. Because I've got three or four liberal arts colleges picked out, but the fact that Middlebury has a team and a fantastic writing program made me fall in love~)

LemonFairy 0

People saying she's stupid for believing in Harry Potter... Last time I checked Melissa Anelli and Emerson Spartz and Steve Vander Ark where are incredibly intelligent people, or at least they appear to be. (Melissa is; I've never met Emerson or Steve, but I feel it's a fair assumption.) They, and so many other people they work with, keep the HP community running. I bet you all that they believe in Hogwarts. OP, it was a nice thought, but I get where your daughter is coming from too. Take her to see HBP (and if she's eleven make sure she can handle the Inferi - those scared the crap out of me, and I did scream even though I knew they were coming. Then again, so did the rest of the theater. I love midnight premieres!) or buy her a wand from Alivan's.

Pretty sure Melissa and Emerson don't actually believe that Hogwarts, Harry, and the magical world are real. And SVA is a complete idiot, anyway.

LemonFairy 0

This comment misposted in a reply to a thread. Deleted, reposted.

lover_dearest 0

wow lol thats funny!!! i woulda cryed too!!

You should probably spend more time with your daugther to be able to understand her better. How you, mother, couldn't realize in advance that such a thing would hurt her? I would also have been hurt if someone had played a trick like that in my childhood, with only the difference that nevertheless I would've been thankfull for a couple of hours of happiness of believing in miracles. But I would have cried for sure. You daughter can dream, that's actually very good, but tell her that Harry (and Rone, and Herminone) would never step on his parents foot saying he hated them.

LemonFairy 0

Well considering Harry's parents are dead... XD (Teaching lessons through HP works though, especially since the series has such strong morals of right and wrong. Though, Gryffindors are brave to the point of stupidity above all else and they never seem to get punished for breaking the rules, but other than that yay for good series morals!)

runwest07 0

I can only imagine how she reacted when she found out Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are not real.