By notawizard - 16/07/2009 10:16 - Spain

Today, my daughter turned 11. Since she LOVES Harry Potter, I decided to write her an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. When she saw the letter, she screamed and showed me. When she found out I wrote it, she told me she hated me, started crying, and stepped on my foot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 346
You deserved it 95 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pedegg 0

Okay, everyone seems to be forgetting that eleven year olds ARE idiots. Even if they know the book is fiction, they still WANT it to be real- and if the outside world gives them a glimpse of hope that maybe it's more than fiction, they WILL believe it because they WANT it to be real. I waited for my Hogwarts letter when I was turning eleven. I didn't really think I'd get one, and when I didn't I wasn't crushed, but if I HAD gotten one I'd probably have shit myself. This mother obviously has never been obsessed with something like 11 year olds can be with this book series. That, or she's just a bitch. She should have known better than to have made the poor kid think she was going off to live in a magical world and then taken it away. That's horrible. Just take her to see the damn movie.

mynameisnotjudie 0

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?! Ugg I can't even begin to tell you how terrible that is. The poor little girl! An eleven year old really has no way of knowing that was fake because the excitement blinds them ;- )

Comments

Wow, YDI. I would have reacted the same way when I was eleven. You have no idea how much of an impact HP has on people when they read it at a young age!

lololololol, i even knew when i was a kid that it was fake when the first one came out. HAHAHA!!! retardation lololol

Does your daughter still believe in the Easter bunny also? I sense a rough middle school and high school career ahead.

thelovelykira 0

I would hate you to >.> Cause when i was 11, i waited for mah letter to Hogwarts. I mean i know it probably sounded like a good idea but....you got her hopes up for that and it was let down D: Also people, whats wrong with a little girl wishing she could go to a magical school? Or believing she got the letter. I mean f*ck, shes only eleven. Plus everyone knows even thinking you got that letter is exciting. Stop being such douche bags. Whats hilarious, is that i wasnt sad at all when i found out Santa and what not wasnt real. But knowing Hogwarts wasnt real actually made me sad XDD Plus whos to say it isnt >.>

um ok. if she liked Harry potter that much she'd know she wouldn't be getting a letter from them until she turned 13! ---- besides it's weird she thinks it's reallllll?

roasbelle 0

umm no actually...you start in Hogwarts when you're 11. get your facts straight before you criticize a little 11 year old girl

GDinNJ 0

You fail. It's 11. I mean, you don't fail because you didn't know that. You just fail because you tried to show someone up and ended up being wrong. Fail.

That's sooooo mean. Kind of like putting a colouring book in a PS3 box.

I think I'd cry if someone did that to me as well. PERFECT analogy.

GDinNJ 0

Aw, the poor girl. ): I know some people here are calling her an idiot, but when you really, really like something, obviously she's going to hope that it actually exists. The poor kid probably was so disappointed afterwards. Ah well, you tried your best. Although Y(sorta)DI, this sucks, FYL.

Tell her you were kidding about you writting it. Then send her to school. Tell her she's going to Hogwarts, but actually send her to the cheapest boarding school you can find. You'll both laugh over and over about it when she eventually tracks you down many years from now.

jmar87 0

Hell, I wouldn't mind it if Hogwarts was real. I pine over it, in fact, but I know Hogwarts as it is with Dumbledore, Potter, and whoever else is not real. I praise the kid for having a good imagination but it's disappointing she reacted so STRONGLY against. It was a sweet idea! I wish my mom would have done that for me.

Sounds like there could be two potential reasons for the tantrum: 1) She has trouble seeing the difference between fantasy and reality, in which case I question your parenting skills, as that is something that should have been taught to her a long time ago. or 2) She has entitlement issues. She found out that was your gift to her, and she through a tantrum because it isn't a "real" gift. Either way, you should have given her a stern talking to. 11 or not, there is NO reason for her to throw a tantrum like that, let alone try to physically harm someone just because she disliked the gift.

GDinNJ 0

C'mon, give the kid a break. It's not uncommon for a child on the younger side to convince themselves that something that they really want is really happening. I mean, she was probably ridiculously disappointed.