Brain freeze

By IvyLeague? - 15/01/2013 02:52 - United States - Buffalo

Today, I was babysitting, and a little girl asked for help with her homework. I cheerfully began an explanation, only to freeze mid-sentence. I could not for the life of me remember how to do long-division. I'm about to graduate from Cornell University, and her little brother had to correct me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 879
You deserved it 10 340

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Nobody above middle school can remember. You're not alone.

SApprentice 34

It's hard to remember information when you have had no reason to review it for years. Don't feel bad, OP. It happens to all of us.

Comments

Nobody above middle school can remember. You're not alone.

Nobody needs that fancy book learnin' anyways.

It's really the most useless (and icky) of those 4 types of problems.

That's because halfway through our 12 year sentence we started using calculators for everything.

Try writing in cursive. It'll blow you're mind.

imavelociraptor 6

I know how to do long division and write and cursive.... A lot of people in my grade can't write or read cursive though. It's pretty sad actually.

im an engineering student taking calculus classes and differential equations. lets see if i can help. long division? ummmm. don't you do something where you...*draws a picture of a giraffe* there you go.

Division's either easy enough you don't need long division or painstaking enough that you should go for the calculator...really I'm just rationalizing me forgetting it too though. #suckstosuck :(

I'm a student in my first year at the University of Imnottellingyouwhere, and I certainly remember. It is also used in calculus, but on polynomials instead of simple numbers. It's not hard at all, anyway.

Pandamonia88 9

I'm an engineer and I count on my fingers, I'm not even sure what long division is. I think I can still do multi-dimensional calculus though.

Well, you forget things all the time, it's natural.

Perfect reason as to why most of the stuff we learn in school will never be used again.

RedPillSucks 31

Until your calculator batteries die during a test and your teacher wont let you move closer to an electrical outlet. *true story bro*

Brainfarts happen to the best of us, OP

SApprentice 34

It's hard to remember information when you have had no reason to review it for years. Don't feel bad, OP. It happens to all of us.

Exactly, I'm a junior in college and I barely remember anything from last semester. The mind is a funny thing and if you don't use it you lose it. Cheer up op when my brother brought home factors I could barely remember how to do them.

Schizomaniac 24

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

My old math teacher was super cute. You should have seen him, totally cute.

Well I guess you're going to have to **** yourself.

iOceanus 18

5: Punch yourself in the face for bringing it up then.

Schizomaniac 24

18: *punches you in the esophagus* 19: uhh..what? 20: You can't tell me what to do. You're not my real mom.

Schizomaniac 24

You're right. I'm looking pretty stupid in front of all these anonymous people on the Internet. :(

zingline89 18

I'm sure it's just a product of not having done it for a while. You should spend the remainder of your night studying up. Just give it your undivided attention.

Trix_Disorder 20

These puns are better than sum.

zingline89 18

That's not even a fraction of what I'm capable of. Frankly there were too many variables when deciding what puns to use, so I left some on the table for the replies. So take this as a Sine, FML community, to unload your best math puns below.

iOceanus 18

24: As I read your comment, I imagined your puns materializing into projectiles, then speeding towards your enemy as a final move to finish him... It's 3am, don't judge me.

Jorcar 8

Maybe another tangent of thought would be best. Math puns are just too trigy for some people. Not to be negative.

Calculus students are advised to avoid consuming alcohol before doing their homework: Do not drink and derive.

And ****** :D no? ok...I have dishonored you all...*runs self through with katana*

62: No, all math through high school and a good portion of the math in college is immediately applicable to the real world. You're highly employable if you understand this.

Math can actually be really fun and beautiful (fractals, man), but math class is horrible. I love thinking about calculus, but as soon as I actually enter the classroom I'm ready to take a nap. :(

I bet that was the best moment of that little kids life.

robo_thunder 13

I know a math tutor you could hire, but I hear he's not very cute.

That one guy is gonna **** someone up now.

missababgaga 19

Join the club... I wasn't able to help my little sister with her long division hw when she asked. I didn't even know how to do it when it was first taught to me in class as a kid! That's why I'm thankful for calculators.

missababgaga 19

Because of conformity I can imagine.