By daninalani - 11/03/2012 22:37 - United States

Today, I was discussing the possibility of other life in the universe with my friend. She said the universe isn't big enough for it to be possible, and that we would know about it already, because "there are only 8 planets in the universe." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 356
You deserved it 3 275

daninalani tells us more.

FML bc i spent all morning trying to tell her about how big the universe was. she just got angry.

Top comments

miz_kamakazi 11

F HER Life if she thinks that! Let me guess, she's a 4 year freshman at UCLA, her favorite color is clear, and she wants to become a veterinarian because she loves children. SMH

Comments

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." --Douglas Adams, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_

Mac93 4

Umm as of 2005. There are 8.

middletoe 5

Umm as of the beginning of time, there was more to the universe than just one solar system.

Mac93 4

Umm I'm talking about the ****** planets stupid bitch. Go be a smart ass somewhere else.

There is only eight. Pluto got classed as a dwarf planet.

middletoe 5

Universe, not solar system. There are waaaaay more than eight planets in the universe.

oh my god. there are hundreds, maybe thousands of other planets in the universe to everyone saying 'omg there is only 8 planets, i'm ******* retarded', the universe is BIG. you think there's only 8 planets? don't ya just love how americans think they're so smart?

Funny thing is there are only 8 planets

middletoe 5

...in the solar system. OP and her friend were discussing the--much larger--universe.

You do realize that there are only 8 planets right? Pluto is no longer a planet, scientifically. I still consider if a planet, but she is still correct. They ruled Pluto to not be a planet. So you look pretty dumb for trying to make her look dumb.

hazardmuffin 21

That's irrelevant. She said there are only eight planets in the UNIVERSE, not the solar system.

To all saying there are apparently only eight planets....Kepler 22 people...google it.

Okay so that's 1 more. All the "thousands of planets" people are talking about, are just candidates, they have yet to be confirmed. So, sorry let me correct my post "There's 8 planets in our galaxy, 1 in another"

Ok, this is bugging me. The terms 'universe', 'galaxy' and 'solar system' are not the same. There are currently 8 defined planets (not including dwarfs or planetoids etc) in our solar system. There are many, many more planets (not necessarily confirmed or whatever yet) in our galaxy, and many, many more in the universe.

middletoe 5

...by using galaxy and solar system interchangeably, you're not *much* better than OP's friend. There are more than eight planets in our galaxy, let alone the entire universe.

middletoe 5

Damn. This was in reply to another comment. :/ Disregard, please.