By notawizard - 16/07/2009 10:16 - Spain

Today, my daughter turned 11. Since she LOVES Harry Potter, I decided to write her an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. When she saw the letter, she screamed and showed me. When she found out I wrote it, she told me she hated me, started crying, and stepped on my foot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 346
You deserved it 95 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pedegg 0

Okay, everyone seems to be forgetting that eleven year olds ARE idiots. Even if they know the book is fiction, they still WANT it to be real- and if the outside world gives them a glimpse of hope that maybe it's more than fiction, they WILL believe it because they WANT it to be real. I waited for my Hogwarts letter when I was turning eleven. I didn't really think I'd get one, and when I didn't I wasn't crushed, but if I HAD gotten one I'd probably have shit myself. This mother obviously has never been obsessed with something like 11 year olds can be with this book series. That, or she's just a bitch. She should have known better than to have made the poor kid think she was going off to live in a magical world and then taken it away. That's horrible. Just take her to see the damn movie.

mynameisnotjudie 0

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?! Ugg I can't even begin to tell you how terrible that is. The poor little girl! An eleven year old really has no way of knowing that was fake because the excitement blinds them ;- )

Comments

You should have hired owl before you write a letter dude..

:/ if i ever reacted like that to my mother, regardless of what she had done to me... well... all i can say is i would never do anything like that ever again. i would NEVER raise my voice to my mother... i'm 19, and the mere thought of LOOKING at her wrong doesn't even cross my mind. honestly, your daughter needs to learn something about respect.

Okay, I think some people here either don't remember what it was like to be eleven or they simply want to look cool and mature. I read Harry Potter when I was 8, I am now 17, and when I turned 11, I wanted an acceptance letter. It wasn't because I thought HARRY POTTER was real, it was because I wanted to believe Hogwarts was real. It was like reading a book based in a different country with fictional characters: the characters may not be real, but the place is. I knew that it wasn't real since I first began reading the book, but that isn't the point. I wanted to believe it was real, that Rowling had somehow found this place and wrote a story about it with her own characters. Belief and knowledge are very different things, as religion shows you. No, I'm not comparing Harry Potter and religion so don't accuse me of such a notion. Belief is more powerful than knowledge, because even though we as children knew it wasn't real, we wanted it to be, and that overrode our reason. Forgive the child for having an imagination and beliefs. Forgive the child for being a CHILD, and not wearing mini skirts and makeup like they are apparently supposed to be doing now. Forgive the child for not being a cynical bitch with no joy in life. I, for one, think the gesture was very sweet, but I can also understand the girl's reaction to being tricked, even though it was not intentional. Obsessions run deep in children, and sometimes it's hard to work with that.

really? so any eleven-year-old with the common sense to realize there is no "super secret magical fantasy wizard world" is a "cynical bitch with no joy in life"? i started reading harry potter when i was about ten years old. on my eleventh birthday i had a party at the skating rink with my real friends, doing kid things like skating, telling jokes, and playing in the arcade. afterwards, we went to my house for ice cream and a spend the night. not once did i imagine that night would bring my acceptance letter to hogwarts because i realized hogwarts was invented by a woman who wrote an exceptionally good fiction series. but apparently i was just a cynical bitch with no joy in life. who knew?

Oh come now, don't take it like that, please. I am not saying that anyone who DIDN'T believe in Harry Potter and such was a cynical bitch, I am merely commenting on how other people are talking about this little girl. OMG A SMALL CHILD BELIEVES IN MAGIC WTF IS WRONG WITH HER AND HER PARENTS. There's something very sad about a world where a child is spat upon for believing in magic. These commentors are essentially slamming a kid for believing strongly in magic: they seem to think that no child should and expect them to grow up facing harsh reality at all times. If my parents expected me to not believe in magic of any kind, then yes, I consider that a life lacking joy, the joy of childish wonder. On my eleventh birthday, I too had a party with my friends. I didn't spend the day obsessing over whether or not I'd get a letter to Hogwarts. It was a hope I had, as foolish as it may have been. Believing in magic, by the way, IS a kid thing.

i agree that believing in magic is a kid thing. the question here seems to be how old a child must be before they give up some of these "kid things." at eleven, i think it's about time to start facing "harsh reality," if only because sooner or later, your peers are going to make sure you do, and it will probably be quite a bit more "harsh" than if a parent or family member takes the first steps. this kid, at 11, is probably in fifth or sixth grade. middle school is a seriously rough three years, (at least in my area), and any kid going into the sixth grade believing in harry potter definitely wouldn't have left school feeling the same way. at what age does this stop being "daw, what a cute little girl who believes in magic," and turns into, "seriously, this girl needs to grow up and face the facts"? BTW: girls like this usually turn into twilight fans. and that's what scares me.

Valid point indeed. I still believe in magic, not Harry Potter brand anymore of course, but magic nonetheless. I think eleven is way too young. If you teach a child to look at the world the way an adult does, the kid will begin to act like an adult and emulate adults in the media instead of kids made to be role models for them. Emulating adults in the media tends to result in early pregnancies. There can be a happy medium: believing in magic and facing reality at the same time. This child will eventually formulate her own opinions at her own pace, as it should be. Where I live, we don't have middle school, we have the "kindergarten to grade 8" system, so maybe it's a different mentality there. I never got made fun of for reading Harry Potter, not once in my life, nor have any of my friends. I mean, if you dress up as characters and, at the age of thirteen or fourteen, still believing 100% that Harry Potter is real, yes there is a problem. So, we've reached a conclusion that there is a line, we just need to work out the age of it. =D By the way, I've read Twilight, and it's not bad at all. I don't obsess over it, and it isn't the best book I've ever read by far. Not all the people who happen to like the novel are psychotic emo kids that think they're going to marry Edward. ;)

no one was made fun of for reading harry potter - however, they would be made fun of for believing harry potter was real. heck, when we were 12 my best friend and i dressed up as ron weasley and hermione granger for halloween. it wasn't being a fan that made you receive ridicule; it was the inability to realize the books are all fiction. i don't agree that teaching a child to think like an adult necessary leads to a child emulating adults in the media - rather i believe that any child with proper guidance would emulate personal adult role models, ie family members, teachers, family friends, etc. not that i believe you should teach an 11-year-old to think like an adult. i think an 11-year-old should think like an 11-year-old. and while i realize that encompasses a very wide spectrum of mindsets, i feel that believing in hogwarts is a bit on the "immature" side. also, i've read twilight, too - i think the first three books? they're not AWFUL, per se. just really not that great of a series for young, impressionable girls like the OP's daughter to read. if reading harry potter leads girls that age to believe in witches and magic, reading twilight would be like telling a young girl her only reason for living should be to fall in love with some hot vampire guy and have his babies. too many dependency issues in that book for me.

Another valid point. I think that comes with age, too. I thought HOGWARTS was real, not Harry Potter, until I was 12. I think that's a pretty good age to realize that it wasn't. I think it almost always does. I mean, in today's society, parents tend to not be home as much since they both work, which is perfectly fine, but it leaves the kid susceptible to outside influence far too easily. I'd rather have my kid emulate Harry Potter than Meghan Fox. If the parents could somehow get their child to look up to them despite their absence, then that's lovely. But I can say that I don't really emulate my mother: I love her and appreciate everything she's done, but I wouldn't want to be like her when I become an adult. I think a good medium here would be introducing the child to more..."adult" books. I read Lord of the Rings at age eight, and it gave me more perspective on life. And, as the child grows more and becomes a teenager, Sword of Truth. It instills morals and gives the kid great role models, even if the parent is working to put that kid through college. I'm about halfway through the second one, and I agree, they are HORRIBLE for impressionable young children. I believe the age recommendation is 12 and up, but I think it should be for teenagers. The book is perfectly fine when you're old enough to understand that it is a work of fiction, but the lessons it teaches can be misconstrued into so many negative things for young girls.

well, alright. i'm pretty sure the OP's kid isn't going to grow up to be some horrible person with no grasp on reality. haha. she might not be the most "mature" or "worldly" of her peers, but she's probably not the most "out-of-touch" or "immature," either. who am i to say where all eleven-year-olds should stand on the subject of magic anyway? i agree with your idea of the "happy medium" - whether that be taught through books, experience, parental guidance, life lessons, etc. i would think the method would depend on the family involved. i think we can both agree to (kind of, semi-) disagree here. the only thing about this FML that i found truly appalling was the child's behavior toward her mother, anyway. but then again, that may have something to do with my particular family/culture/values, so whatev. (oh! an interesting side note: i just remembered in the sixth grade, my friends and i made a harry potter video for our "gifted and talented" project of the year. it was awesome. we didn't have enough people to fill all the roles, so we ended up making a cardboard cut-out of percy weasley, and one of my friends had to act like it was her boyfriend. we also had an "attack scene" between one of us and a large stuffed snake controlled by fishing twine. good times.)

Well, people do change over time, and they do grow up, so perhaps the girl's reaction wasn't so much having her hope snuffed out as being painfully embarassed that she fell for it, and thus lashed out at the cause of her embarassment. I agree, too, on the "it depends on family" notion. My parents work all the time, which is fine, so I was left to my books to pass the time. Therefore, my happy medium was created because of a healthy balance between my awesomely childish novels and my adult ones. Oh, I agree with you on that as well. Although I can understand why she reacted the way she did, I can't condone it. Parents should be treated with respect no matter what. My mother never raised a hand to me or even raise her voice that much and I would never think of physically hurting her. I shudder to think of what family or culture would think that was perfectly acceptable. That....sounds awesome. When I was in Grade 6, we had to make cereal commercials, and ours was a mix of Final Fantasy and Harry Potter, because I take nerdiness to a whole new dimension. I dressed up like a part Chocobo and...I'm gonna leave it at that, heh heh. As a side note, we started this little off shoot borderline arguing, and now we're having a perfectly civilized and intelligent conversation. That, my friends, is the magic of Harry Potter! :P

Final Fantasy is awesome. Have you ever seen the "All About Random Battles" flash? It's intense. Also, everything else by joseph blanchette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWudlH1VEMQ Anyway, yeah. You seem like a decent person. ;) haha. So there's hope for the OP's kid - belief-wise, if not completely unacceptable behavior towards a parent-wise.

Ohhh I hope when I turn 17 vampires fall in love with me! Happy birthday! Gosh I love my life. Really? 11 yrs old n she believed it? Wow.

YDI for letting your 11-year-old daughter believe in, and be obsessed with, something nonsensical.

holytamole 0

I think it's rude all these people are calling the daughter a retard/moron/etc. I am 19 and I have only read the first book of this series, and I think it would have been pretty cool to have gone to that school. Obviously I know this is just fictional- but I think most people think to themselves that it would be cool or have fantasies about things that do not exist. It's a way we escape from the stress of our realities. I bet there's something in all of us that would be euphoric if our childhood fantasies came true. There's nothing wrong with having a vast imagination! Also- children are a lot more mature and wise then we realise- but they are also naive and gullible; sometimes it's hard to decipher them. However, people of all age groups tend to be a bit enigmatic.

Guys, it doesn't mean the kid is stupid. All kids like to believe that magic is real, especially if they're Harry Potter fans. I remember when I turned eleven, I wished so badly that it was all real and that letter would magically show up. of my mom had set one up, I probably wouldve reacted the very same. ps. anyone who is going to say that I'm stupid too, keep in mind I maintain a perfect 4.0 and score within the 99th percentile

i agree. there's a big difference between "stupid" and "unable to properly grasp reality for someone of that age group." i don't think the OP's daughter is stupid. for all i know she could be a little genius. however, i do believe she is a bit too far into her own little fantasy world, and possibly a bit immature.

YazzyDream 1

I read Harry Potter for the first time when I was 9. It's so obviously not real that I can't even bother to explain how... obvious it is. Your daughter might need a bit of help.

anarchywitch 0

Oh geez... Reminds me of having a Harry Potter themed summer camp. These kids all took everything so seriously. I was "potions teacher" and said that passing the test is the same as surviving it. They all freak out and it's like NO I am not going to risk you drinking toxic liquid, dummy! But that's how kids are, they have no logical sense yet.

Okay that actually sounds like a lot of fun, even at my age. :P Not to take seriously, but just for a bizarre experience.

You didn't deserve that. You were just trying to be a good mom, by getting your daughter something creative, that you thought she would like. It was a great idea, she just didn't understand. And this will be a story you guys can share in years to come, that will make you laugh together.