By Anonymous - 16/12/2012 05:49 - United States

Today, my ex adopted a dog from the dog pound. It was the same dog he made me get rid of while we were still together. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 619
You deserved it 8 508

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you really liked the dog, why didn't you adopt it after you broke up with him?

Wow...that's just messed up. I mean, you kinda deserve it for abandoning your pet - that's just cruel, you should've dumped the guy as soon as he seriously suggested it so it's kinda karma. The situation is still really messed up though so FYL..

Comments

It's all well and good for everyone to say that OP deserved it for allowing herself to be bullied into giving up her pet, but what some people don't understand is that not all relationships are that simple. OP could have been in an abusive relationship, and if it's anything like the one I went through, it is VERY difficult to say no to your partner. I'd say FYL, OP.

I'm sorry to hear that, but then, the truth is, nobody forces you to enter an abusive relationship. It might be cruel to say and possibly a bit idealistic, but every person in abusive relationship should end it as soon as possible. Sounds simpler than it is, I guess, but that's the harsh truth.

TallMist 32

#57 Well, maybe 51 didn't know that relationship was gonna turn out the way it was. Maybe it started off good, but then her boyfriend started to become abusive. Let's not assume here.

vanessa09865 23

Sorry but you totally deserve this. Who gives up their pet for a significant other? They either have to get over it or leave because chances are, that dog came into your life way before that person did. You obviously didn't care about the dog enough so it'll probably have a better life with your ex anyways.

vanessa09865 23

Complicated relationship or not, dogs will always love you more than humans.....well except for babies maybe.

sweetmama88 6

Your a fool you should have kept the dog if you liked the dog, No one in this world would ever tell me to get rid of my pet ever. Honestly you deserved it !

On the one hand, it's a horrible place compared to a home, and it can be a death sentence in shelters that kill when out of room or deem an animal unadoptable. On the other hand, no-kill shelters (and other well-kept ones that do their utmost to help animals find forever homes) are a lot safer for some animals than the streets, and they spay/neuter to help curtail the problem of homeless cats and dogs. In this case, OP's dog was at least sheltered and taken care of. We adopted our two cats from a shelter. They're awesome. If you want a pet, instead of going to a pet store check out your local shelter and make a huge difference in an animal's life.

YDI because you actually gave up your own family member for you boyfriend. I would have just dumped the Guy if I was told to give up my pets. >:(

WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP YOUR DOG FOR SOME DOUCHE? That poor dog who loved you.

skyeyez9 24

I adopted a chihuahua pit bull mix a couple weeks ago from the humane society. He was on "death row" and scheduled to be euthanized in a couple more days. He is my buddy and helped me with my severe depression from my previous dog passing away last october. He is 11lbs, a pretty grey coat with white paws, has a calm laid back personality. A stocky build, wide skull and muzzle like a pit bull, but with chihuahua ears. He is adorable and nobody would ever convince me to get rid of him!

Wow, YDI for abandoning your pet. If you take an animal into your home you've accepted responsiblility for it--you don't just throw them away when it becomes inconvenient. And if he kept pushing it and wouldn't accept what's important to you, then that's not a guy worth keeping anyway. I had a similar situation with a cat that I rescued. She has a lot of anxiety problems which requires some expensive treatment and causes her to sometimes pee outside her litter box. My boyfriend tried many times to get me to send her to someone else but I put my foot down and said no. She's my cat, I made a commitment to her, and it wouldn't be fair to uproot her from her home and send her away just because she can be annoying. My boyfriend got over it and has learned to love the cat as well. I'm sorry you lost both your boyfriend and your dog, but if you'd put your foot down you would still, at the very least, have your dog.

hazardmuffin 21

YDI for abandoning that poor dog. If you really had to give him up, why the hell wouldn't you personally find him a good home?

How funny would it be if the whole "get rid of your dog" thing was a test? Then, when he realized that the OP couldn't even stay loyal to a dog and probably wouldn't be able to stay loyal in a relationship, dumped her and adopted the dog to make sure it was cared for by someone who wouldn't abandon it. I know it's highly unlikely, but it would be pretty hilarious.

TallMist 32

#66 Abandoning your dog is never hilarious. Test or not. Unless you have no heart, that is.

Obviously not for the dog. I mean it would be funny because it would be such a slap in the face to the OP. If you look at the comment I made just previous to that, I was talking all about how adopting a pet is making a commitment to them and abandoning them is not acceptable