By Brad - 08/03/2009 05:33 - Canada

Today, my girlfriend dumped me for someone else. An hour earlier I had just gotten permission from her dad to propose. FML
I agree, your life sucks 157 367
You deserved it 7 533

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mistress_Puppy 0

Oh poor thing I'm sorry. But at least you knew how she felt before you actually proposed.

At least this happened instead of her cheating on you with this guy down the road, leading to a long and painful divorce.

Comments

twilax101 0

yikes, that stinks. poor girl :(

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
ThatWhiteKid667 0

#12 ARE YOU SOME SORT OF STUPID?! Asking is tradition and yes she is a trophy not one you hang on the wall but the one you cherish always and work hard for every day... OP dont be hard on yourself she didnt deserve a guy like you youll find the one

Are you stupid? Asking for the fathers permission to marry his daughter is a well know tradition. And forget about her OP. If she couldn't see how much you respected her and loved her then you deserve so much better.

A trophy? I know plenty of guys who asked the dad (or parents) for permission before proposing. I think it's the right thing to do. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Psygod 2

It is not objectifying, it shows respect for her family if you ask for their permission first. I'm not saying that it's a must but in some families it would be expected.

reggicm 0

I agree with #132, it's not like he just asks her dad and she has to do what he says. It's just a sign of respect.

hthelittleone 10

You're an idiot. Get with the times, men still ask the lady's father for her hand in marriage as a form of respect, not because they are "property". Sheesh.

Chill the hell out. Asking the father for permission to marry his daughter doesn't mean the woman is being treated like a piece of property. It's showing a lot of respect. You need to grow up.

#15, that is a load of crap. No offense. OP: That's bad, but at least you have cut the evil in its roots. LIke #9 said.

#16: What an incredible argument. A load of crap, but no offense? To all the people who think it's "the right thing to do" or "polite": Asking for permission from the father is a clear objectification of the woman in question. It says that she doesn't have the right to chose her own destiny, that her father must give permission for marriage. The only thing lacking from the post is any mention of negotiating a dowry. Furthermore, why not ask her mother for permission to marry? Why does the woman in this story not ask permission from the potential groom's parents? Asking the father suggests a patriarchal familial structure that belongs in history books, not in modern life.

the reason the father is asked is because he is the one who walks her down the isle (in most weddings). It my be old fashion but I think it's something a boyfriend should do. It's more out of respect for the family, not making the woman an object.

actonthat 0

Oh, please. For everyone who is having a heart attack over the idea of asking her father, you're ridiculous. That's like saying that because a guy expects he is paying for a date he is assuming he is better than the girl. Or that a Sadie Hawkins dance is sexist because it implies that women aren't capable of asking men out normally. It's asinine. It's an old tradition that, as a girl, I actually think is very sweet. It shows respect for the family and for the girl. Seriously, calm the hell down.

i really wish #16 would shut up. It's just polite and helps relationships with further inlaws. If you don't like it soo much then convince women everywhere that they should propose instead

Here's my input: Don't ASK PERMISSION. But let them know. What if he would have said "No", then you'd be crushed, and soon your girlfriend would dump you and start singing "If You Liked It Then You Shoulda Put A Ring On It!". It's silly. You're not marrying the father, so don't let the father decide if it's right for you two to get married. Alas... FAIL,.