By Brad - 08/03/2009 05:33 - Canada

Today, my girlfriend dumped me for someone else. An hour earlier I had just gotten permission from her dad to propose. FML
I agree, your life sucks 157 367
You deserved it 7 533

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mistress_Puppy 0

Oh poor thing I'm sorry. But at least you knew how she felt before you actually proposed.

At least this happened instead of her cheating on you with this guy down the road, leading to a long and painful divorce.

Comments

Mercer_fml 0

holy shit better make sure the next time sorry man

rgop 0

My brother asked his wife's parents' permission before marrying. We never saw it as objectification.

nipas13titans 0

To continue the arguement of whether or not one should ask the father for his daughters hand in marriage, I say it all depends on the father. Some fathers will take it as a sign of respect, and thats great. Some dads could care less, and thats fine too. But honestly, if it shows that you respect and love someone so much to care about who they care about, then whats wrong with that?

#18: I only expect to pay for a date if I invited the woman out. I expect her to pay if she asked me. It's common courtesy to pay for the person you invite out. Asking permission of anyone who is not involved in the relationship is anything but sweet, it's showing no respect for the other person's independence or opinions.

#17: It's showing you care for her and her family. #19: Learn to read.

actonthat 0

@ 24 I'm all for going dutch and I always offer to split the bill out of courtesy, even with established boyfriends, but if I was on a date a guy ever expected me to foot the entire thing, THAT would insult me. And seriously, he wasn't asking the father to start setting up the wedding, he was asking the father's permission to propose. It's not like that prevents the woman from saying no. It's showing respect to her family, and asking their approval in your joining it. It's not 'insulting,' and it's not that complicated.

tokyooo123 0

whoa, its just tradition to ask...such extreme feminism. I'm female and not really old fashioned anyway.

Ryu148 0

Callyn, asking your fiancé-to-be's parents before proposing is not objectifying, its making sure that their family isn't going to make your lives a living hell because they hate you. Once it is established that their family is willing to accept you, then you pop the question, which is STILL A QUESTION. There is no objectification going on here.