By Someone - 16/04/2014 00:20 - Canada - Windsor

Today, our family went to a water park. The park's mascot came up to greet us, and my daughter got scared. She then refused to go inside, so we had no choice but to leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 049
You deserved it 5 823

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's when you drag her in so the other members of your family days aren't ruined...

mimiminx 23

YDI. No one should let small children dictate to them.

Comments

In a way, FYL because you respect your daughter so much which is awesome. At the same time YDI for not just going in anyway.

You chose poorly and are only teaching your daughter that if she throws a tantrum, she'll get what she wants.

sourgirl101 28

We took our daughter to Disney World when she was 5 and went to a Bug's Life. That "kid's" ride scared her so bad that she refused to go on any other rides. We then had to take turns watching her while we rode the other rides in shifts. Sucked and our day was cut short because nothing calmed her. A parent, trying to do the right thing, is not going to traumatize their kids by forcing them to go-- in hopes that she'll "get over it" especially if you have a sensitive kid like I do. FYL but I support your decision to leave. Nothing wrong with taking care of your child's emotional needs over your own. I no longer have these problems because I gave her the support and security she needed when it counted.

#30: I totally agree with you. This is good parenting!

SwtCherryPie 26

YDI. I thought you were the parent not her. As #29 said, you are only teaching her that throwing a tantrum will get her what she wants. You better take control before she's too big to start parenting.

I had something similar happen to me when I was a child. I'm thankful my parents took my terror seriously and didn't force me in anyway. Of course every child is a bit scared sometimes, and you shouldn't give in to every tantrum, especially not when a child is really trying to manipulate your choices as parents. But if we're talking about a truly, hysterically terrified child, I really don't think it does much good to use force. Some children are very sensitive and don't just "get over it" the moment they see a fun slide or get some icecream. So kudos for you for taking your child's emotions seriously!

TheDrifter 23

Taking your child's emotions seriously is one thing, but allowing them to run not only the child's life but the parent's too is the sort of ridiculous notion that leads to out of control teenagers and unadjusted young adults, not ready to face the world on their own.

I think I turned out quite allright. Of course if these things happen every week, there's a problem, but having one family outing disturbed because of your child being scared to death... Well, that's part of having children I guess, they tend to mess up your plans every now and then. Sometimes it's a good idea to be strict and stick to the plan anyway, sometimes it's better not to. What was best in this situation is something nobody could possibly know, based on a three sentence post on a website.

That's the worst hope you got a refund or maybe some free passes that don't expire...that's even worse

A big, bulky, animated costume coming at them can be really scary for little kids. (At age 3, my nephew recoiled in horror from Winnie the Pooh, though he liked Pooh stories and cartoons.) One possible alternative, for future: Take the child aside to somewhere a bit quieter, calm her down a bit, and talk to her gently about how the mascot is really a person in a costume. In the meantime, someone else in the family can go to the mascot (or a manager), explains the kid's fear, and ask if the mascot to come see her again either being very slow and apolgetic in costume, or with the head off so the kid can see it's really a person in there -- but to not come within sight until the child is calmer and has been briefed that the mascot will come back so she can see it's okay.

There is a big difference between throwing a tantrum to get your way and being genuinely scared. I would hope that all of these commenters would actually take their children's fears into consideration.