U-turn

By jaimie - 19/03/2011 16:00 - United States

Today, we were going to Disney World all the way from North Carolina. After 12 hours of driving, my kids started fighting and complaining. My husband finally said, "If I hear you guys one more time we're turning around and going back home." They annoyed him once again, and we actually went home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 864
You deserved it 8 638

Same thing different taste

Top comments

milou_fml 6

that's some pretty badass parenting right there

he'll yeah, that's the kind of parenting I wanna see, no sucking up to kids, those kids will remember that for the rest of their life

Comments

vivsss 11

looks like you wanted to go to disney world more than the kids did.

GreggyZ 0

we need more parents like this

The children bickered in the car after 12 hours of driving... Big deal. Children always bicker, especially when confined to a small space. They can't help it when they're bored or annoyed or tired, so posing threats is useless. The husband should've stopped the car somewhere to let everyone relax. Turning around a car, on the way to Disney Land, after 12 hours of driving, would make your children hate you. Threatening to turn around the car is stupid because children never believe that a parent would actually do such a thing - it's not meant to be serious. Plus, a failed trip to Disney Land is something the kids will never forget. He's clearly not right in the head, especially if you were unable to reason with him, even though this kids did nothing wrong and you didn't either.

Disney World. Disneyland is similar but it doesn't have some of the rides that Disney World has. I've also talked to several people who have been to both and they all said Disney World was better by far. I've only been to Disneyland so I can't really judge.

why didn't they fly over if it takes that long to drive!

My dad would have stopped and spanked us and kept going. It accomplishes the same thing and saves the fun part of the trip. But 12 hours is a long time to expect perfect behavior

LipstickAndShoes 1

The Good in the situation: -Your children will know when enough is enough. The Bad: -Wasted money on tickets (Unless you decided to buy them when you got there). -Wasted money on gas. -Wasted money on hotel fees. -Wasted 24 hours of your life. -It's a possibility you're children will hate your husband, and may have a slight rebellion. I respect your husband for following through. But in all honesty, I am pretty sure he's the type of parent who doesn't think things through. Of course children are going to be cranky after a 12 hour car ride, but your husband should've prepared for that. Like buying them a DVD player, or a CD player, etc. And instead of going back and wasting all that money, you could've have them stay in the hotel room for the rest of the day, while you guys are out in the park. Denying a child a planned Disney World trip is cruel.

QFT. I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and assume that the kids were being brats. If I was the husband, when we got to the hotel, I would have made the kids stay in the hotel room for the rest of the day and part of the next, while me and the wife went off and had fun...

Wow, ALL the way from North Carolina? We drove through North Carolina to get to Disney World, either late in the second day of driving or early in the third day. I think we stayed there for a night, not sure which. 12 hours is nothing. We left about 8:30 am on a Thursday, got there about 4 pm on a Sunday. A 12 year old, a 10 year old, and an ADD/ADHD 6 year old. Try doing that.

He warned them. it's not his fault. The kids shouldve taken him more seriously and given him respect. When I was a kid I was stuck in a 19 hour journey 4 times a year with multiple little kids and almost never reacted.