By futuremum - 22/03/2012 17:14 - United Kingdom - Bristol

Today, I had to yet again tell my mother-in-law that I wasn't going to name my unborn baby "Ermintrude" after her late mother. My husband told me to stop being difficult, and that he agrees that it would be nice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 372
You deserved it 2 576

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ermintrude is a name that you joke like ethelburga not one you name a child, they would be teased.

Comments

theonlysweetpea 10

I think you should pick what you want. My mom let one of her sisters name me

Isn't this one of those cases where you just hope your husband and mother in law read fmls. Maybe they'll realize how ridiculous their demand is. It's a unique name but it does sound horrible. Even a semi-uncommon name like Desiree gets made fun of anymore.

missnuthin 10

That poor child would be bullied like crazy. Ugh. Can you negotiate it down to a middle name? Then you can bury it as the initial E.

HeroOfHyrule 0

If you go through with it, they WILL hate your guts.

isis_morrigan 18

It's ultimately your decision, giving birth gives you that right. Hopefully you can have a rational discussion with your hubby and MIL and talk some sense into them!

Are you sure they aren't just messing with you? I doubt they're serious.

Do what everyone else who has to put up with the embarrassing family name dilemma. Put it in the middle name or better yet, when you have to write up the birth certificate say you "did" put that as the kids name, but there must have been some sort of "mix up" and it would "be too hard" to get it changed" so your just going to "stick with this one" because it sounds good anyway.

You could give the kid something more normal, but that still resibles her mothers name, and just say that some "other" people would find it too hard to spell and pronounce, so you just wanted to make it easier in the kid in the future. Like Trudy, Judy, Erin, Emily, Emma, or something along those lines. (assuming your kids a girl.)

Taymah49 7

Not a good name, tell her to try again