By luvonsarah - 14/08/2012 17:27 - United States - Beaverton

Today, I was out drinking with some friends in a Safeway parking lot, when I saw a familiar-looking vehicle pull up beside us. It was my dad, who angrily got out and demanded that I come home. I'm twenty-four, and now the laughing stock of my social circle. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 546
You deserved it 24 973

luvonsarah tells us more.

luvonsarah 8

Hey there! I am the OP. A few things I'd like to address: I was only visiting my parents. I do have my own place. I stayed out a little later than I thought I would and they got worried. The bar (in which we were drinking) is in the same parking lot as Safeway. We stepped out to grab some vitamin water and smoke a cigarette.

Top comments

Number one: Why were you drinking in a Safeway parking lot?!? Number two: At least he cares about you...?

Time to move out! Think of all the positives, no grounding, no midnight bumps in the night (if you know what I mean) and most importantly no interruptions during happy time. Get a place OP, it will July get better.

Comments

dstluke 7

people who drink in a Safeway parking lot do not make a social circle. they ate your future homeless buddies.

dolceandkabana 1

I have to admit, sometimes I come on here to feel better about my life. Thank you OP. Thank you.

jem970 19

I honestly think every commenter has done that at some point in their life or even during their normal average day :)

You were drinking with your buddies in a grocery store parking lot? Sounds like you children are the laughing stock of life...

You may be a laughingstock within your circle of friends, but your dad saved you from being a laughingstock among society. What kind of person drinks in a parking lot, especially in a parking lot where anyone of all ages are around. It does not make you look cool, but more like a fool.

AgentSmith79 9

Ydi for being so lame, that the best idea you can come up with is to loiter in a Safeway parking lot while drinking. Get a life. And stop whining about how pathetic you are. Besides, having a open container in a public parking lot is illegal in most places.

Seriously, why are you still living with your parents? And secondly, your living in someone else's house for free and they are paying a mortgage every month. Want your own rules and freedom- then pay your own bills

... really? Really? Are you serious? Who says he's not paying his own bills? Who says he has no job or money and isn't paying his part towards the rent? You've got an active imagination!

lovelyspyder 7

But the freedom rules still apply- want freedom? Move out.

YDI for drinking in a public place. Also, to everyone asking OP why they're still living at home, guess what? I'm 25 and still live at home. Why? Because I'm thousands of dollars in debt from college and I can hardly afford to pay that every month without having to pay rent, utilities, food, etc. on top of it. College graduates get the short end of the stick in life; they get out in debt with little to no way to pay it off. OP is lucky their parents are letting them stay with them rather than on the streets. I'm glad some people have no money problems whatsoever and could move out of their parents' house at 18, but no everyone is that fortunate.

I moved out at 17. It was a struggle financially. Had a lot of cut offs on utilities and such. I only moved out that young because I was going after my dream of a career and I had a job lined up out of state. I figured I could go to school anywhere. My nephew is almost 22 and is living with my parents. It's a different time. If makes more sense for some people to stay at their parent's longer

Personally, I think college is overrated, unless you're getting a degree in something that will prepare you for an in-demand job, such as something in the medical field. All too often I see people get virtually useless degrees and then end up in situations like yours where you're buried under crippling debt and still can't get a decent job, which really defeats the whole purpose of going to college. You end up worse off than when you graduated high school. Anyway, I don't know what you got degree in, or the details of your particular circumstance, but that's really shitty and I hope you get out of that situation soon. Have you considered going to a technical school? They train you for a job typically in less than a year. I'm pretty sure most jobs that require a technical school start at about $45,000, which is by no means rich, but it should be enough to allow you to live on your own. Also, if you're in the US, (I can't see your location on the app) the government might still be giving out grants for education in "in-demand" fields. There's this "salary. Com" site where you can look up average salaries for different jobs and job descriptions. Anyway, just a thought. I hope you find my advice helpful. Good luck!

I have to agree with 163, I didn't waste 2-4 yrs in college to be in debt like my step-son who has maybe $30,000+ in student loans & several thousand in credit card debt...why?, because he thought he could get a degree for jobs with next to nothing for actual work & get paid $160,000 a year...& he hasn't paid a penny back yet plans to quit his decent $10+ (next to nothing for actual work...I'd love to get paid that to stand around for 8 hrs and do maybe 20 min worth of work) hour job so he can go back for more near useless classes that will put him in the $60,000-100,000 range of debt & then expect us & his grandparents to pay his regular bills (rent, gas, food,insurance) while he complains about (& ignores his debt to school further) all while hoping to land himself a rich girl so he never has to work again.

lovelyspyder 7

You're 24 and drinking in a parking lot? Time to grow up, man, YDI

What an amazing social circle. Drinking in a parking lot, you say? What a way to party!