By fml - 25/04/2009 01:55 - United States

Today, I was walking through town when I saw a plastic bag on the ground. Trying to be a good citizen, I picked it up, intending on throwing it in the trash. When I looked up, there wasn't a trash can for another hundred feet. So I put it back down. Now I've got a $200 fine to pay for littering. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 002
You deserved it 61 046

Same thing different taste

Top comments

earwig12 1

So walk the extra hundred feet. How is that a big deal?

a plastic bag doesn't weigh anything and it wouldn't have taken any extra effort to walk the 100 ft. your laziness disgusts me. you completely deserved it.

Comments

well i don't know #25 I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he didn't have the time to go that far out of his way. I think we've all had our moments where we've gone, "Meh. **** it."

nushadow 0

#21, 29 You hardly get it, he doesn't HAVE to pick it up however, I feel its a moral obligation for anyone living on this planet to pitch in and keep it clean. So what if you're not on litter duty, keep the streets clean, I catch any plastic bags on the ground that I happen to walk by, and one time, there wasnt even a trash recepticle nearby, I had to DRIVE home to throw it away.

#33 driving home to chuck it out would do more harm than just leaving it

33, that's absurd reasoning. If you truly held by those values, you'd never get anywhere, especially if you went to some of the dirtier cities. You'd just be picking up garbage every couple steps. Small or large, you'd never run out. Only plastic bags? What about the rest of the trash? It's nice and all that you would try to keep things clean, but at least the OP THOUGHT about it. Most people don't even think about it. I think a YDI is highly unnecessary. Nobody deserves a $200 fine for not cleaning up after another slob.

He was fined for dropping the plastic bag, no matter what he intended to do with it. Would you also say he doesn't deserve it if, say, it was his own bag, he'd thought "I'll just throw this into the trash" and then noticed the trash can was too far away and dropped it? Next time, either don't pick it up, or follow through with it. 100 feet? That's like what, 30 metres? You could just have walked there, what's the big deal? If he really was so pressed that walking to the trash can was too much, why did he stop to pick up garbage in the first place? I certainly don't when I'm in a hurry.

100 feet is like 20 seconds of walking

I don't think the OP really deserves the $200 fine, but they are a twat for picking it up then putting it down again. As has been said, 100 feet is not far.

to everyone saying he deserved it, do you go out of your way to pick up trash and toss it? i bet you don't

The OP is a lazy ass who in my opinion deserved the fine for his laziness, if you want the world to change, start with yourself!

Exactly what number 4 said. People stop being rude to the OP. :/