Backhanded

By Anonymous - 02/07/2012 05:47 - United States - Gainesville

Today, my mother-in-law said I wasn't the type she expected her son to marry, as he's always dated cheerleaders and model types. I must have looked offended, so she added, "I mean they weren't smart like you." So, I might be smart but I'm the ugliest girl my husband has ever been with. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 496
You deserved it 3 169

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Intelligence and personality are better than looks any day.

AliceLockehart 18

Why do looks matter? As long as your both happy, that's what's important :).

Comments

Come on, your husband chose you did he? If so, be happy that you're with someone who loves you.

sweetmama88 6

I hate to say this but mother in laws can be awful at times, the reason Why I know this is because I have one and she is down right mean! So what I do is let your husband deal with her and tell him what she said exactly and tell him that your feelings got hurt and I'm sure your husband will stick up for you problem solved.

Mearemoi 14

I don't think the mother-in-law's intention was to insult and/or offend her. I mean, she even went out of her way to add that OP's husband's previous girlfriends weren't smart like she was. That's a compliment.

I agree with the commenter. That had nothing to do with her looks. Her MIL even went out of her way to point that out. The OP needs to stop dwelling on intentional misconceptions and look at the facts.

She's probably so hung up on the looks aspect of her MIL's comment because she already had insecurities about her appearance in the first place. If her husband is the type to date models and cheerleaders then he is probably the standard definition of attractive. If she has any self image issues to begin with, that's probably exacerbated by being with someone she might consider to be out of her league physically, which is why she took the comment as insulting.

So his taste is improving. What's the problem?

I would have taken this more as a compliment. Many cheerleader/model types are both morons and look anorexic which is not attractive. I don't know your relationship with her, but she may not have been trying to be offensive.

Blackpuppy15 0

brains are always more attractive then beauty

jaredofmo 22

Your husband isn't superficial. You got a good man, even if his mother isn't so complimentary. So, it sucks that she said that to you, but I think you have a good marriage. (Unless he cheats on you. Then that guy can burn.)

Hey. that's no bad thing. We know he _prefers_ you to shallow cheerleader types. This is a good thing whether or not you are equally likely to get a job as a model. Firstly, it suggests that your husband is not monumentally shallow. Good. Secondly looks fade but having a good head on your shoulders is an asset for life. Also good.

You are overthinking it OP, she meant she was glad you were smart.

perdix 29

Would you prefer that your mother-in-law found you extremely hot and beautiful? Seems that a few glasses of wine could cause her to release her inner bisexual cougar and begin a chain of events, none of which end pleasantly for you. You may not be beautiful, but evidently, you are attractive enough to the only one who really matters.

RedPillSucks 31

That would be a different conversation... MIL: My son usually brings home the hottest model cheerleaders for me to bed. However I guess you're the type he wants to keep for himself. OP: What? you think I'm not pretty enough? MIL: Not for me..., erm... I mean, you're a lot smarter than his usual girls.