Door knocking

By firewait - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I gave my 16 year-old step-daughter and her friends a lecture on respecting other people's privacy. Two hours later, I accidentally walked into her room without knocking. She and her friends were giving each other bikini waxes. Now her friends call me "the hypocritical pervert." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 640
You deserved it 80 871

Same thing different taste

Top comments

i'd be more concerned that her and her friends give each other bikini waxes

Well the pervert thing is unjustified, but seriously, you can't tell her off for not respecting other people's privacy and then just walk into her room without knocking. Just apologise to her and let it serve as a reminder for next time to think before you go in there. She's a 16 year old girl, be glad she wasn't doing anything worse when you walked in!

Comments

you are a hypocrite, but not a pervert. and since it's bikini season, it's perfectly normal for 16 year old girls to get bikini waxes. would you want to have a beard sticking out of your bikini bottom? or one suit bottom? it's not gross, nor does it make them ****** or *****. everyone who is calling these girls "******" needs to grow up, stop acting like vaginas are gross and sex is dirty and evil, and burn their bibles!

#6 - THIS. Since when is giving eachother bikini waxes a sleepover activity?!

I don't think the bikini wax thing is that weird... I sat there in my living room, in panties while my stepmother helped me wax my legs and bikini line at that age. The OP didn't say anything about any nudity. But it does make you a perv to just walk in the room. What if they were changing their clothing when you walked in? The knock serves as a very necessary warning! Privacy doesn't mean she can ban you from the room, but at the very least you should alert her of your presence just incase she is indecent (as I imagine she was... whether naked or in panties). Also, #41... step parents don't have any legal rights to a child. Adoptive ones, yes, but not step parents. If something ever happens to me where I can't make a decision for myself, my stepmother has absolutely no say in what happens to me. Marrying someone's parent doesn't automatically give you all kinds of legal rights to a kid. In fact, you are more likely to get in trouble for acting too much like a parent. My grandmother has called child protective services on my stepmother multiple times just for doing normal motherly things... and they sided with my grandmother, and I was taken away from my father and stepmother for a while.

#89, Sorry I couldn't follow this at all. Are you saying that you have a partial right of privacy? Where do you draw the line? The parent can't know beforehand what they are going to see when they surprise their kids If a parent walks in unannounced, doesn't that leave a chance they will see some legitimate activity (say, jerking off) that the kid does not want to share with their folks.

zymn 6

who are they waxing for? you should really start looking out for what guys they're hangin out with... and what bikinis they're wearing... holy shit, dude. you're ******* screwed.

I hate people like you. Learn to respect other people's privacy before you demand privacy for yourself. And clearly this was not an accident...you just don't have a considerate nature.

You all are idiotic prudes. Maybe they don't like having hair, and they can't afford going to a salon. Plus, do you know how ******* difficult it is to give YOURSELF a bikini wax? I wouldn't give a shit if a friend gave me one, because they're my FRIEND. You guys probably don't even hug your friends.

She should've locked the door if they were doing something like that. What kind of friends give each other bikini waxes anyway? That's kinda weird.. & I wouldn't take that from her friends. When they're in your house they should have some kind of respect from you. If they say it again tell them they can leave and don't come back. Ignore what the other people have said - it's your house and you're entitled to go where you please. She can lock her door if she wants. You made a mistake, people do it all the time. Everyone seems to be forgetting that you're the adult & she's the child.

bikini waxing yourself is really tricky and can be really painful if you screw up, i don't see why it's a big deal if girls were helping each other with it. it costs a ton at the salon and it's getting to be swimsuit weather. i do hope they had on bikinis/underwear though. anyway if you don't have locks on the door, yall could just put a two-colored sign on your daughter's door. green is come in and blue is knock first, or something like that. or make it really easy and always knock before you go in. you can't really blame them for calling you a hypocrite though. yeah, it was a mistake, but still your fault. and anneftx -- the examples adults set are what children will follow. deny them privacy and be authoritarian and that's exactly how they'll learn to treat others.