Door knocking

By firewait - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I gave my 16 year-old step-daughter and her friends a lecture on respecting other people's privacy. Two hours later, I accidentally walked into her room without knocking. She and her friends were giving each other bikini waxes. Now her friends call me "the hypocritical pervert." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 640
You deserved it 80 871

Same thing different taste

Top comments

i'd be more concerned that her and her friends give each other bikini waxes

Well the pervert thing is unjustified, but seriously, you can't tell her off for not respecting other people's privacy and then just walk into her room without knocking. Just apologise to her and let it serve as a reminder for next time to think before you go in there. She's a 16 year old girl, be glad she wasn't doing anything worse when you walked in!

Comments

anicolelove 0

how'd you accidentally walk into her room without knocking? lol. that is just funny wording of a sentence. but regardless, my mother always used to tell me that i didn't have any privacy in her house as long as she was paying the bills. same goes for your kid, and if her friends don't respect you, then tell them they aren't allowed over. you don't have to host a bunch of snot nosed 16 yr old brats who don't respect your house and your rules. also, talk to your daughter about that whole bikini wax situation...that's weird.

Steph1234_fml 0

Maybe you should think about practicing what you preach.

squeaksx24 0

I agree with 107. You don't have to be a ***** to wax. They probably had bathing suits or underwear on. A bikini wax only takes of the hair that can be seen while wearing a bikini; a full wax is a Brazilian wax. Anyway, if they were like naked, I don't think they would have left the door unlocked.

totoro_fml 0

Your step daughter is a lesbian

not really. I do get bikini waxes. I play water polo. it doesn't hurt that bad. then again, that may be because I play water polo, and fight in mma. I don't know those girls personally, but I have never screamed.

How do you accidentally walk into someone's room? You have to OPEN A DOOR, so it wasn't an accident!

YDI. Not a pervert, perhaps, but a hypocrite. Telling your step-daughter and her friends to respect the privacy of others then not respecting theirs? It's hard enough earning trust from step-family members; congrats, you blew that chance nice and early. And seriously, though: Where do you get off lecturing her friends, too?? I'm guessing the line got blurred on this when you became a member of a family not all blood related to you, but you don't actually have the right to lecture ALL kids, just your own. And depending on how new you are to the family, even that is pushing it a little, considering the obvious hypocrisy. And as far as the entitlement to privacy goes whilst living in the parents house, there's obviously a line, and age certainly comes into it. If the parent suspects something dangerous, harmful or illegal is going on, or genuinely believes that something dodgy or unacceptable is going on in there, then there's no rights to privacy anymore. It's their house, their child, and safety/well-being trumps everything else. Other than that, though, by giving a child their own room, you're giving them their own space, and they are entitled to the expectation of at least some privacy; a place where they can hold themselves separate from the rest of the house and its inhabitants - especially at the age of 16, where they are caught in that place between child and adult, and need more of that space as the years go on and they start to build their own life - a life that will not revolve around their parents, and as such, the parents lack the right to infringe upon (except, of course, in the above scenarios). You don't want them having their own space? Get 'em to sleep in your room. You want your own space? Don't be a hypocrite like the OP. #45 is spot on - if you want to teach your children to respect things like privacy, they have to know the value of it, and you have to set the example. But aside from all the deeper and fuzzier arguments, let's be realistic here: Knocking isn't just about privacy, it's polite. Manners matter, kids. If you don't have them, OP, how can you demand them of anyone else?

CowGoesMoo 0

Doesn't this sound more like 16 year old boys fantasy than an FML? Besides, whatever, you're the parent.