Nice try

By Journo - 27/04/2009 19:46 - United States

Today, after two months of unemployment, I got a call from a marketing firm offering me an interview for an entry-level position. While Googling the company, I discovered it's a scam. I graduated college in 3 years with a 3.5 GPA, and the only interview I can get is at a fake company. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 128
You deserved it 5 015

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Socrates_fml 0

good catch, at least. imagine if you went and were scammed. THAT would have been a real FML. This is an FML with a bright side

Comments

I am sorry about whatever you think. The truth is that you cannot be successful unless you are smart. For whatever you think, 3.5 is not going to cut it in the real world. Really. Think about it. Do you think that someone successful like bill gates or donald trump ever got a lousy grade like 3.5? The reality is probably not. You should NOT be bragging about your grade. You should have gotten a 4.0 and have gone to a good school. The thing is with our economy is that companies want the smartest people they can get. Say there is one spot open at google. There are two people that want that job. One went to MIT and the other went to san jose st in california. Who would you hire? I got a 4.0 and went to a great school for several years. A simple 3 year degree is just OK. You dont want ok. Become a pro. My friend gets in trouble for less than a solid A. He is only in middle school. What I am saying is that you were putting it upon yourself for your whole entire life.

Grab a job teaching English overseas and hunker down to wait for the economy to recover. China and Korea both are kind of aching for foreign teachers. Just need a 4-year degree in anything and the ability to not drool on yourself. Actually, I think they'd take that too. Moving can be tough, but y'know, it's just for a year. I've been teaching in Korea for almost two years now -- some great benefits and a fairly non-competitive job market. Once the economy recovers and new jobs start appearing, hopefully I'll have the worldly experience (combined with a high GPA, portfolio, etc.) to compete for them. Military is another option, but given the choice between dodging bullets and eating kimchi, it was a fairly easy decision for me. =P Consider it.

Note to every high school kid posting in these comments: You can have a 4.0 and be in Honors and AP classes, but that doesn't mean anything once you enter college. I'm only finishing up my first year, but college is a killer. I was one of you. All my classes were honors and APs, I worked my ass off, or so I thought. Now, I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep per night - and even less now that it's finals. For example, last week I slept for a grand total of 16 hours for an entire week. Tonight, I have to finish a ten page paper - I'm stuck in a library with hundreds of other people freaking out. Every "big 10 page research paper" you have to do perhaps once or twice a year will be peaches and effin cream compared to the workload you will have in college. You will cry, you will hate yourself, you will get sick - a LOT. The only thing that truly matters in your AP classes are the exams - get credit for them and you may be able to graduate early. If not, then taking the class may help you out in college anyway, so I rescind my first part of the comment. Honors classes hold no ground - they really won't help you out with much except for maybe understanding one or two new references when you do reading for your courses. But, the worst of this is when I realize that this is only my first year, and I have to do more each subsequent year.... Be smart, enjoy your high school years. And to the middle school kid - really? FML? You're thirteen, go ride your bike or do an hour of homework every night instead of watching cartoons, you can easily improve that way.

propelks09 0

#115...there are plenty of successful people out there who didn't get a 4.0 in college for example my dad had a 2.8 at iowa state university (a school where you can have as low as an 18 on your ACT's and get in) and now works as an engineer making over 90,000 dollars a year. I know that's nothing compared to your bill gates or donald trump, but it is definitely not bad. As for the op, I feel like 3 years isn't enough to get a great degree. most people take 3 years of college and then transfer to a bigger college...

so_me_fml 0

#2: sociology... Story of my undergrad life... Sure would be nice if professors would mention it's a USELESS DEGREE!!! #114: Word.

so_me_fml 0

Also, ohshizz, can't remember what # your post was, but about history: it's not a bad major, as long as you're planning on pursuing a higher degree. If you want to TEACH history, your best bet is to major in education with a minor in history. Or, a lot of history majors go to law school. Or, I do know one person with a history degree who works in a museum now. I think a bachelor's in history is a bit like a bachelor's in sociology... Fun to get, but worth very little in the real world (PS I'm not knocking either degree, I happen to hold a sociplogy degree, if you'll read above).

3.5 GPA isn't that good, that means you get quite a few B's and blow.

svfootball 0

for all you saying a 3.5 isn't a good GPA, get a life. if you have a REAL major, a 3.5 is pretty good. i'll be graduating in 3 years with a Biochem degree with around a 3.3 or a 3.4 and will be damn happy with it, and i got straight A's all throughout high school. and for those of you saying that the OP "shouldve studied harder and gotten a 4.0 so you can be successful," eat one. you're retarded. how successful you are in life doesn't depend directly on your GPA. there are many successful people who didnt have 4.0's in college. don't be retarded and try to justify your BS major or neurotic studying by saying it's gonna make you so successful. i won't have a 4.0, but i'll be going to medical school. you know what they'll call me, even if i graduate DEAD LAST? DOCTOR. i'm pretty sure that means i'll be successful :)

#22: You're in middle school. You have no business comparing your grades to someone in college. Grow up. #50: Enjoy your weighted GPA while you can... In college, they don't give you extra GPA points like they do in high school with Honors/AP classes. If you want to compare your GPA to the OP's GPA, you should compare your UNWEIGHTED GPA (which I assume is less than a 4.0.... considering the fact that when I was a senior in high school, my weighted GPA was a 4.67, and that ended up being a 4.0 unweighted) #81: Lots of people graduate college early. I took so many AP exams, I had a year's worth of credits starting college (I started as a sophomore). #120: I couldn't agree more. :) OP: Hang in there and keep trying.