By Dopeboyfresh71 - 19/12/2010 01:02 - United States

Today, it's my sixteenth birthday. The only gift I got was a bill from my parents. Apparently, the rent is due on the 1st. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 972
You deserved it 3 262

Same thing different taste

Comments

too bad there was another fml just like this one but all she got was a positive for her pregnancy test, your bullshitting that's all I can say ! ydiqc

Are you still in school? Do you have a job? Maybe you should discuss this with your parents. It might not be rent but room and board instead. Some families expect the members to contribute to the household somehow. If you've not brought anything else to the table, this might be their way of prepping you for the real world. If you are unemployed, ask if you can pay it off in chores.

MisterTwo 0

Until you turn 18, your parents have a legal obligation to provide you with food and shelter. Unless you were emancipated (very rare, requires a court order), they cannot charge you rent as a minor. I agree with elorenzo, get in touch with your friendly DSS office now, don't wait until your parents threaten to evict you. Happy birthday bro, sorry to hear about your parents!

Emancipation does not require a court-order in all cases. A person can be emancipated if they are pregnant, the mother of a baby, or in the military(although a 17 year old has to have parental permission to enter the military.)

This. Also, in some states it is 21, not 18. Search the laws or get in contact with someone who knows.

It's about TIME you grew the **** up. I can't believe you were supported like that by you parents for so long, it almost disgusts me.

Until you were 26? According to your profile, it says you are still 25.. hmmmm.....

I think it'll be good for you in the end. If you learn responsibility now, then when you move out it won't be such a shock. This is your parents' way of ensuring that you know how to handle money BEFORE you move out so that they won't have to take you back in when you fall behind on rent after you move away.

xxxkittykatxxx 0

While that's a good theory, I think rent is a bit much, considering until the age of 18, they legally have to provide OP with food, shelter, clothing, etc. If they have a cell or internet bill and asked him to help out, I feel that would be more appropriate. Just sayin :)

justbigbs 6

thats Fup, 16 most places you can't even work legally. And with this economy, you're not even out of high school yet, unless you took advance classes. wow, good luck.

If you are working then you should pitch in but, legally they can't charge you rent or start a contract w/a minor in PA.

hcovballer247 0

Wasn't there an fml that was something like this like a day ago

CaptainPat 0

technically they can't kick you out of the house until you're 18. So you might be able to contact someone about this. They're legally responsible for you