By notawizard - 16/07/2009 10:16 - Spain

Today, my daughter turned 11. Since she LOVES Harry Potter, I decided to write her an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. When she saw the letter, she screamed and showed me. When she found out I wrote it, she told me she hated me, started crying, and stepped on my foot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 346
You deserved it 95 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pedegg 0

Okay, everyone seems to be forgetting that eleven year olds ARE idiots. Even if they know the book is fiction, they still WANT it to be real- and if the outside world gives them a glimpse of hope that maybe it's more than fiction, they WILL believe it because they WANT it to be real. I waited for my Hogwarts letter when I was turning eleven. I didn't really think I'd get one, and when I didn't I wasn't crushed, but if I HAD gotten one I'd probably have shit myself. This mother obviously has never been obsessed with something like 11 year olds can be with this book series. That, or she's just a bitch. She should have known better than to have made the poor kid think she was going off to live in a magical world and then taken it away. That's horrible. Just take her to see the damn movie.

mynameisnotjudie 0

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?! Ugg I can't even begin to tell you how terrible that is. The poor little girl! An eleven year old really has no way of knowing that was fake because the excitement blinds them ;- )

Comments

wow you did not deserve this.......ur daughter needs a serious reality check. 11 yrs old??? seriously???

im going to rape your daughter for wanting to go to hogwarts, no epic battles happen in hogwarts. none. no epic battles. rage rage rage NONE.

short_one_13 0

lol nice one... but the sad thing is, im a huge fan, and probably wouldve been even more elated at getting that letter than the little girl...im 16 years old ...lmao but really i wouldve been really happy if my mom did that for me haha but its the thought that counts =]

You're pretty much the worst parent ever.

i don't get this but wel, poor mother

I agree with #176 Everyone needs to shut the f**k up about the daughter because it's not stupid to hope for something. And the mom shouldn't have done this because it was like a trick. Think of it this way, if someone told you you had just won concert tickets or the lottery or something and then you discovered they were just trying to be nice by saying that how would you react? That's what it would be like for the daughter. Also, just because people WANT to marry Edward Cullen or go to Hogwarts doesn't mean they're stupid, they don't really believe it, they just want to and act like they do. Trust me, I know.

Mata_Hari 0

Agreed with you with the majority of your statement, BUT, comparing the lottery or tickets to a concerts to receiving an acceptance letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Lottery and concert tickets = can happen in reality, good reason to be upset. Acceptance letter to Hogwarts? = Zilch chance, no way no how. Especially since The Op's from Spain, Hogwarts just applies to Great Britain really.. (

Mata_Hari 0

FML's being a tard and didn't keep to the rest of my comment; (Random note about the Great Britain bit, ignore) But to call the OP's gift a 'trick'? Not really, it was a very nice and thoughtful gift that she thought her daughter might enjoy. And the daughter reaction when she found out the acceptance letter to the magical place that so-far has only existed in books and movies (and possibly in Orlando, 2010), was not in fact real? Told her mother she hated her, cried and stomped on her mother's foot. Very immature reaction, even for a newly-turned 11 year old.

What an awful thing to do! To those who say an eleven-year-old girl is too old to believe in things like that or that she reacted immaturely: have you ever met a still-innocent, ordinary eleven-year-old? You can't expect her to behave like an adult! I grew up with the series, and I remember how devastated I was when my eleventh birthday came and passed without a letter. I'm certainly not stupid. To allow a child to have that amazing hope realized, to have them picture themselves casting spells at Hogwarts, living in an enchanted world, only to tell them it was all a JOKE?? That's just cruel. It doesn't make it better that it was gift "customized to her interests." If anything, it makes it worse that the girl really loved Harry Potter. That means that she was probably all the more disappointed!

Exactly! If it were me when I were eleven I'd be devastated. :(

Ahahahahaha so cute! But even an 11-years-old girl would know that HP isn't real? Beside, if she really doesn't, then she would find it out later anyways. Meaning, she would get sad sooner or later.

Why are all these people acting like it's so weird for an 11 year old to read a storybook and hope that there might be some reality to it? I'm sure that deep down she realizes it's not true, but she'd probably LIKE it to be. That's the point of fantasy and fiction, to speak to our imaginations. If you've read the series you'd understand that part of the intrigue is that "normal" people (muggles) know nothing about the wizard world. Therefore, if you have an imagination, it COULD exist in our world because none of us muggles would know about it. Besides, I started reading HP when I was in second grade (7 y/o) and I hoped very much that it might be true. When I saw owls in trees I secretly wondered if maybe someone would get a letter. I wanted SO BADLY to get an owl from Hogwarts all throughout elementary school and I wasn't the only one. When 11 came and went I gave up hope (although I certainly didn't start puberty that early o_O that would suck) If my mother had done that to me I would have been out of my mind with happiness at first then upon realization that I had been tricked I would probably have cried my eyes out. YDI for messing with a little girls imagination and playing with her childhood hopes. I hope you feel terrible for crushing your little girls creativity and stifling her innocence. She's a CHILD!